• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Today is 11 - 11, the anniversary of the end of WW1, celebrated in many coutries as Remembance Day,  but in China it is something very different. Two things very different. First it is "Singles Day", a recently invented celebration of being single (i.e 1 1 1 1 1), a sort of rIposte to Valentine's Day and the Chinese equivalent, both of which most Chinese couples observe. Even more recently, it has become on-line shopping day. Prices are slashed and hundreds of millions of deliveries are made today and the few days either side.

My haul was nearly all food related.

Pride of place goes to my new granite mortar and pestle. I have eight already, but this set took my fancy.

mp1.thumb.jpg.0430c36469e1ab578fdcbf3b861d20e2.jpg

The others included some caviar, a refill of Manchego cheese, and some Siberian goose liver sausages from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province. The sausages are a new thing to me, but remain untested yet. Probably for breakfast tomorow. (See update).

liuzhou

liuzhou

Today is 11 - 11, the anniversary of the end of WW1 but in China it is something very different. Two things very different. First it is "Singles Day", a recently invented celebration of being single (i.e 1 1 1 1 1), a sort of rIposte to Valentine's Day and the Chinese equivalent, both of which most Chinese couples observe. Even more recently, it has become on-line shopping day. Prices are slashed and hundreds of millions of deliveries are made today and the few days either side.

Pride of place goes to my new granite mortar and pestle. I have eight already, but this set took my fancy.

The others included some caviar, a refill of Manchego cheese, and some Siberian goose liver sausages from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province. The sausages are a new thing to me, but remain untested yet. Probably for breakfast tomorow. (See update).

liuzhou

liuzhou

Today is 11 - 11, the anniversary of the end of WW1 but in China it is something very different. Two things very different. First it is "Singles Day", a recently invented celebration of being single (i.e 1 1 1 1 1), a sort of rIposte to Valentine's Day and the Chinese equivalent, both of which most Chinese couples observe. Even more recently, it has become on-line shopping day. Prices are slashed and hundreds of millions of deliveries are made today and the few days either side.

The others included some caviar, a refill of Manchego cheese, and some Siberian goose liver sausages from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province. The sausages are a new thing to me, but remain untested yet. Probably for breakfast tomorow.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Today is 11 - 11, the anniversary of the end of WW1 but in China it is something very different. Tw othings very different. First it is "Singles Day", a recently invented celebration of being single (i.e 1 1 1 1 1), a sort of rIposte to Valentine's Day and the Chinese equivalent, both of which most Chinese couples observe. Even more recently, it has become on-line shopping day. Prices are slashed and hundreds of millions of deliveries are made today and the few days either side.

The others included some caviar, a refill of Manchego cheese, and some Siberian goose liver sausages from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province. The sausages are a new thing to me, but remain untested yet. Probably for breakfast tomorow.