• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We. too, leave butter out at room temperature.   In town, that works fine year around but in the country, in summer, butter does melt and pool.    I use a butter bell with some success, although you have to replenish the water with cooler water as it heats up to room temp.

647404034_ScreenShot2021-09-04at10_29_30AM.thumb.png.32fee42be9dc98c22d5586c061e73ce3.png

I had that exact same one.  Over time, it took on the smell of butter and not in a good way.  We tried everything we could think of to get that smell out but never did succeed.  It is now resting somewhere with all the other butter bells.  They do work nicely, though.

Anyone ever see one of these in stainless steel?

ElsieD

ElsieD

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We. too, leave butter out at room temperature.   In town, that works fine year around but in the country, in summer, butter does melt and pool.    I use a butter bell with some success, although you have to replenish the water with cooler water as it heats up to room temp.

647404034_ScreenShot2021-09-04at10_29_30AM.thumb.png.32fee42be9dc98c22d5586c061e73ce3.png

I had that exact same one.  Over time, it took on the smell of butter and not in a good way.  We tried everything we could think of to get that smell out but never did succeed.  It is now resting somewhere with all the other butter bells.  They do work nicely, though.