• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Peppercorns

4mylgl6

Hi,

I've been eager to try sichuan peppercorns for a long time, but when I finally got the chance I was pretty disappointed. People usually describe the sensation as numbing/tingling, but I didn't experience it like that at all. To me, it wasn't numbing in the same sense as when your leg is numb, for instance, e.g. you can't feel it. I can only perhaps call it "numbing" in the sense that it wiped out my sense of taste completely. Anything I put in  my mouth afterward I couldn't taste at all. Kind of similar to when you've brushed your teeth with a lot of toothpaste, and it masks your flavor buds for a while. As for tingling, no idea what that's all about. I'm just curious if it's only me, or do people experience this spice in different ways - like the way some people feel coriander tastes like soap.

By the way, I've tried it on several occasions since and it was always the same, so I don't think it was a bad batch.

Amir