• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

22 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I don't see the Duveltini experiment. Is that link right?

Are you suggesting a flaw in Dave Arnold's methods or analysis? I'd be curious to hear what it is. I've gone over every one of those results and I don't see an exception to the "melting ice mantra" at any temperature. 

Link is correct, last paragraph.

It is not a flaw per se, I‘d rather call it a limitation of his parameters: he limits (actually not specifies) the mass of ice he is using. Again, because he doesn’t have to - his focus on the volume of a cocktail shaker is self limiting. He can’t simply introduce more cooling agent, thus he has to rely on the melting and the phase transition enthalpy.

I am very sorry, your statement „at any temperature“ is wrong. If your complete system (ice, shaker, drink) remains under the melting point of the ice, there is simply no cooling by melting ice. Put enough ice at low enough temperatures and you are there. It just might not fit into your shaker anymore and thus has no practical application in a bar setup.

Duvel

Duvel

10 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I don't see the Duveltini experiment. Is that link right?

Are you suggesting a flaw in Dave Arnold's methods or analysis? I'd be curious to hear what it is. I've gone over every one of those results and I don't see an exception to the "melting ice mantra" at any temperature. 

Link is correct, last paragraph.

It is not a flaw per se, I‘d rather call it a limitation of his parameters: he limits (actually not specifies) the mass of ice he is using. Again, because he doesn’t have to - his focus on the volume of a cocktail shaker is self limiting. He can’t simply introduce more cooling agent, this he has to rely on the melting and the phase transition enthalpy.

I am very sorry, your statement „at any temperature“ is wrong. If your complete system (ice, shaker, drink) remains under the melting point of the ice, there is simply no cooling by melting ice. Put enough ice at low enough temperatures and you are there. It just might not fit into your shaker anymore and thus has no practical application in a bar setup.