• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, KennethT said:

were they similar to a hamachi type yellowtail? Those match your description (but I think they're typically a bit bigger)... one of my favorite fishes for sushi/sashimi.

They are similar but, as you say, himachi (Japanese amberjack) tend to be larger than mine.  Also, they aren't native to local waters, not that that proves anything. Also, most of the images of himachi I can see seem to show more coloured heads in the himachi than in my find.

I need to find an ichthyologist urgently!

liuzhou

liuzhou

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

were they similar to a hamachi type yellowtail? Those match your description (but I think they're typically a bit bigger)... one of my favorite fishes for sushi/sashimi.

They are similar but, as you say, himachi (Japanese amberjack) tend to be larger than mine.  Also, they aren't native to local waters, not that that proves anything. Also, most of the images of himachi I can see seem to show more coloured heads in the hmachi than in my find.

I need to find an ichthyologist urgently!