• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

A friend asked me to try to make a frozen treat with Yakult.  Quick search online shows others have used this ingredient wit a custard or cream base, and traditional ice cream makers but no ninja.  I thought I'd try it straight up 😁  The ingredients did me a concern, since it's water, couple types of sugar, skim milk, cultures, and some flavor - i.e. this is going to be very close to ice, and I think the instructions state not to blend pure water.  😇  But.. I had to try, so in went several of those plastic bottles to fill up the container and froze it for 24 hours.

The first spin made so much noise, so so much.  Four spins later, it was still somewhat powdery, but a spoon mixed it up well.  It had a citrus-like flavor, gave me a searing brain freeze almost instantly, and a very thin mouthfeel (actually, it was very close to snow, though I haven't seen or tasted snow in over 10 years). 

yakult4thspin.thumb.jpg.bb4896583c5440952e1ab8fc0474301b.jpg

Not recommended.

I am not sure if it makes sense to pursue this further.. I can add some inulin, fat, emulsifiers, gums, different sugars, maybe follow the Underbelly strawberry sorbet example, or I can do a little custard or mix with some heavy cream, but I think the latter will take away from the yakult flavor.  Worth a pursuit?  Thoughts?

My next idea is to freeze some greek yogurt.  Or, maybe mix some jam into greek yogurt (or euro-style yogurt) and see what happens.  I'm enthusiastic about testing things, though generally slow, so if someone beats me to it, please share results :)

jedovaty

jedovaty

A friend asked me to try to make a frozen treat with Yakult.  Quick search online shows others have made something similar to a custard or cream-based ice-cream with traditional ice cream makers.  I thought I'd try it straight up 😁  The ingredients did me a concern, since it's water, couple types of sugar, skim milk, cultures, and some flavor - i.e. this is going to be very close to ice, and I think the instructions state not to blend pure water.  😇  But.. I had to try, so in went several of those plastic bottles to fill up the container and froze it for 24 hours.

The first spin made so much noise, so so much.  Four spins later, it was still somewhat powdery, but a spoon mixed it up well.  It had a citrus-like flavor, gave me a searing brain freeze almost instantly, and a very thin mouthfeel (actually, it was very close to snow, though I haven't seen or tasted snow in over 10 years). 

yakult4thspin.thumb.jpg.bb4896583c5440952e1ab8fc0474301b.jpg

Not recommended.

I am not sure if it makes sense to pursue this further.. I can add some inulin, fat, emulsifiers, gums, different sugars, maybe follow the Underbelly strawberry sorbet example, or I can do a little custard or mix with some heavy cream, but I think the latter will take away from the yakult flavor.  Worth a pursuit?  Thoughts?

My next idea is to freeze some greek yogurt.  Or, maybe mix some jam into greek yogurt (or euro-style yogurt) and see what happens.  I'm enthusiastic about testing things, though generally slow, so if someone beats me to it, please share results :)