• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Dave W

Dave W

Kerry, the microwave and hot water serve the same purpose as scraping the sides, which is to heat the immediate exterior of the container and thus loosen any ice that would've adhered to the sides, allowing it to get spun and broken up.

Randomwalk, results seem to vary machine to machine based on my reading on reddit and facebook groups (and this thread). There's also differences from user to user on freezer temperature. This thread seems to indicate that running your freezer at the lowest temperature is desirable. Mine is currently at 0F/-17C which is the middle of the range recommended by Ninja Shark (a broad range of -7F to +9F).

I think some of the ice crystals might be user error and they're not bad enough to make the result unpalatable, but like most on this forum, for me, less than perfect food is well, not perfect.

Custard base shouldn't require any stabilizers to my understanding since the egg serves a similar purpose with lecithin and fats.

Dave W

Dave W

Kerry, the microwave and hot water serve the same purpose as scraping the sides, which is to heat the immediate exterior of the container and thus loosen any ice that would've adhered to the sides, allowing it to get spun and broken up.

I think some of it might be user error and they're not bad enough to make the result unpalatable, but like most on this forum, for me, less than perfect food is well, not perfect.

Custard base shouldn't require any stabilizers to my understanding since the egg serves a similar purpose with lecithin and fats.