• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

6 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Followed the MP recipe for pistachio gelato, but used peanut butter instead, and I forgot to add their "perfect gelato" product to my cart so used their "perfect ice cream" one instead.  Also froze at the top shelf in my freezer, which is at -1.5F (previous two were done on bottom, which is around +3.2F). 

The first spin cycle was rough, the machine hopped around a bit and I could smell a little motor.  It did require a respin, but the resulting texture was amazing, smooth, and like what I'd imagine fresh gelato to be.  The recipe, however.. way too sweet for me, almost cloying, and had an almost powdery mouthfeel on the aftertaste?  I'm still reading up on the science of this stuff, how much sugar would you all recommend I leave out to make this less sweet but retain the texture?

Maybe replace some of the sucrose with other sugars? Here's @UnConundrum's treatise on sugars in ice cream - Under-Belly on sugars in ice cream.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

Just now, jedovaty said:

Followed the MP recipe for pistachio gelato, but used peanut butter instead, and I forgot to add their "perfect gelato" product to my cart so used their "perfect ice cream" one instead.  Also froze at the top shelf in my freezer, which is at -1.5F (previous two were done on bottom, which is around +3.2F). 

The first spin cycle was rough, the machine hopped around a bit and I could smell a little motor.  It did require a respin, but the resulting texture was amazing, smooth, and like what I'd imagine fresh gelato to be.  The recipe, however.. way too sweet for me, almost cloying, and had an almost powdery mouthfeel on the aftertaste?  I'm still reading up on the science of this stuff, how much sugar would you all recommend I leave out to make this less sweet but retain the texture?

Maybe replace some of the sucrose with other sugars?