• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been trying to think of any Chinese recipes using ground/minced beef but although there are many for beef in general, not so much pertaining to ground beef. Apart from mapo tofu , which has already been mentioned, I can think of 

1. Ants Climbing Trees (蚂蚁上树 - mǎ yǐ shǎng shù). Both Fuchsia Dunlop in The Food of Sichuan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and the relevant Wikipedia article on this Sichuan noodle dish only mention pork, but it is also often made with beef.

2. Mr. Xie's Dan Dan Noodles (牛肉担担面 - niú ròu dàn dàn miàn) is an excellent dish using beef. Again, Fuchsia Dunlop has the recipe.

3. Ground Beef in Nests (窝窝头牛肉 - wō wo tóu niú ròu) The only local dish I can think of is this, which I have had in restaurants and made myself.

1370070554_beefwowotou1024.thumb.jpg.8b1b33c0b7264b1ae9b3f461568e023b.jpg

The beef is stir fried with garlic and ginger (and any spices you care to include - I used cumin in the batch above) and pickled vegetables of choice and served in the buns.

There is a recipe for the buns here in Recipe Gullet.

I'm sure there are more, but I'll need my second coffee of the morning before dislodging them from what remains of my mind.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been trying to think of any Chinese recipes using ground/minced beef butalthough there are many for brrf in general, not so much pertaining to ground beef. Apart from mapo tofu , which has already been mentioned, I can think of 

1. Ants Climbing Trees (蚂蚁上树 - mǎ yǐ shǎng shù). Both Fuchsia Dunlop in The Food of Sichuan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and the relevant Wikipedia article on this Sichuan noodle dish only mention pork, but it is also often made with beef.

2. Mr. Xie's Dan Dan Noodles (牛肉担担面 - niú ròu dàn dàn miàn) is an excellent dish using beef. Again, Fuchsia Dunlop has therecipe.

3. Ground Beef in Nests (窝窝头牛肉 - wō wo tóu niú ròu) The only local dish I can think of is this, which I have had in restaurants and made myself.

1370070554_beefwowotou1024.thumb.jpg.8b1b33c0b7264b1ae9b3f461568e023b.jpg

The beef is stir fried with garlic and ginger (and any spices you care to include - I used cumin in the batch above) and pickled vegetables of choice and served in the buns.

There is a recipe for the buns here in Recipe Gullet.

I'm sure there are more, but I'll need my second coffee of the morning before dislodging them from what remains of my mind.