• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My guess is that during the 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe even after, ordinary, working-class British folks (in general, and not necessarily in London) were not sourcing beautiful produce (if they even could) or the best meats.  They were dining at home, and it was probably fairly plain food. Or the kids were eating at school, and the less said about that, probably the better.

I mean, in those decades was the restaurant "scene" approaching that of Paris, New York, San Francisco, et al.?

No. But there were very good reasons for that, which I'm getting to.

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My guess is that during the 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe even after, ordinary, working-class British folks (in general, and not necessarily in London) were not sourcing beautiful produce (if they even could) or the best meats.  They were dining at home, and it was probably fairly plain food. Or the kids were eating at school, and the less said about that, probably the better.

I mean, in those decades was the restaurant "scene" approaching that of Paris, New York, San Francisco, et al.?

No. But there were very good reasons for that, which I'm getting to.