• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Ha I would not tempt fate again after the ice slip!  Was the dip just pureed black eye peas and seasoning or?

The ingredients in the dip follows.  The onion is  cooked in the butter until soft then the other ingredients except the shredded cheese are added and put in a baking dish, the shredded cheese is added on top and baked @ 350 for about 20 minutes.  I added about one or two ounces of the cheese spread pictured below before I transferred it to a baking dish.  I also used blackeyed peas cooked from dried instead of canned.  I prefer the taste of fresh cooked peas to those of canned.  PS I also mashed some of the peas while still in the skillet.

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/2-1 tablespoon finely chopped pickled jalapenos
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
  • 1 (15-ounce) can seasoned black-eyed peas, drained
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese or cheddar

20210101_203513.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Ha I would not tempt fate again after the ice slip!  Was the dip just pureed black eye peas and seasoning or?

The ingredients in the dip follows.  The onion is  cooked in the butter until soft then the other ingredients except the shredded cheese are added and put in a baking dish, the shredded cheese is added on top and baked @ 350 for about 20 minutes.  I added about one or two ounces of the cheese spread pictured below before I transferred it to a baking dish.  I also used blackeyed peas cooked from dried instead of canned.  I prefer the taste of fresh cooked peas to those of canned.  

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper

20210101_203513.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The ingredients in the dip follows.  The onion is  cooked in the butter until soft then the other ingredients except the Shredded cheese are added and put in a baking dish, the shredded cheese is added on top and baked @ 350 for about 20 minutes.  I added about one or two ounces of the cheese spread pictured below before I transferred it to a baking dish.

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper

20210101_203513.jpg