• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom's River Casual

Holly Moore

A couple of friends and I are heading to Tom's River NJ a week from Sunday (2/9) for the NRBQ concert at the Ocean County Library there. Our dress will be day laborer/bordering on casual. So where can we eat that is interesting, filling and perhaps even grease stain worthy?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I was thinking that might be the case, but decided to err on the side of 8th grade grammar. One does wonder, though, what the good citizenry of Toms River did with the missing apostrophe?

I spent my high school years marching about Pine Beach by the way - next door and across the river from Toms River. I have fond memories of what I think was called the Riverside Hotel and of Ye Olde Cedar Inn. Wonder if either is still around?

In any case, as a born and raised Toms Riverian or as a "townie" (as we cadets called born and raised Toms Riverians), surely, along with correcting my mis-apostrophezation (for which I am indeed grateful), you can point me to an interestingly and appropriate eating spot that welcomes the semi-shabbily clad.

AFA

Class of '63!!!

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I may have been born and raised there, but I haven't lived there for close to 30 years! So, I really can't help you in your search. My parents still live in TR, but they don't go out much, both are 80+...

just some Real estate speak...Toms Rivers's ( sss???) current nome de plume is Dover Township..the whole poison water thing, ya know...so if you do a search, go for Dover. Best bet is a Seaside bar, they are fun in the winter.

How casual is Jeffreys? I understand they are one of the better establishments in the state.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Jeffrey's is not casual, pretty much upscale and a bit formal.

My choice for casual in Tom's River would be Tom's Ribber barbeque place. It's at 777 Fischer Blvd.

Phone number is 732-831-1227. It's also BYO.

I want to say I HAVE NOT been to Tom's Ribber but reliable friends tell me its great.

Tom

Tom D

• 3 years later...
I will be in Toms River next week for a couple of days visiting my brother and looking for more of the same - looking for more in the cheap and cheerful catagory than haute cuisine.  Any recommendations? Thanks!

I work in downtown TR and have to say we are a bit of a culinary wasteland down here. I normally travel up to Monmouth County (Red Bank) for better food. That being said, there are a few places to recommend. For casual and fun (aside from the typical chain fare of Chili's, Applebee's and the like) I would try either Tiffany's (also a chain but pretty decent food) or Basil T's. For a step up I would try either Bistro 44 or Slowly, both located downtown. Good luck.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

bgut1 - thanks for the info!  I'll just be there a few days, and over Christmas (so obviously eating in mostly), but just looking for ideas if I want to get out and about for a bit!  I'll keep an eye out for Tiffany's Basil T's, Bistro44 or Slowly!

Good luck Forest. Enjoy your stay with your family.

this might be a way-out-there suggestion, but i could think of worse things than cruising over to Seaside to grab a slice of pizza and a beer at the Sawmill on the boardwalk.

Have you been to the Sawmill in the past couple years? It's no longer the comfy boardwalk bar where you can down a few beers and people watch the white trash going by...

It's been totally redone as a fern bar/meat market with expensive drinks. So sad...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

There is a place called Ob-Co's which has excellent donuts. In fact, it was picked by the Munchmobile as having the best donuts in the state. This past summer I was on a team that reviewed hot dogs. On a trip to south Jersey, our first stop was at JoJo's Italian Hot Dogs on rt 37 in Toms River. Before JoJo's opened (it was our first of 10 stops) we headed over to Ob-Co's. I wanted to save room for hot dogs, so I didn't eat here, but everyone else did and raved about it. They open at 6 AM and close when they run out of everything, which is usually around 9:00. We lucked out because it was close to 10:00 and they were still open.

Ob-Co's

547 Fischer Blvd. (off rt 35 near JoJo's)

Toms River

John the hot dog guy