• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. Broccoli Background

broccoli 3.jpg

I recently read somewhere (sorry I forget where) something about someone lamenting that he or she was no longer able to find broccoli and chicken. I'd never heard of the combination. Broccoli and beef, I had heard of but never eaten.

Although China now produces over half the world's supply of this vegetable, it is not at all traditional. Its Chinese name is 西兰花 (xī lán huā), which literally means 'Western Orchid'. 'Western' is used to indicate its origin, which is the Mediterranean region. It was only introduced to China as recently as the 1980s, but even 25 years ago when I arrived, it was very rarely available.

罗马花椰菜 (luó mǎ huā yé cà) or 宝塔花菜 (bǎo tǎ huā cài) - literally, 'pagoda cauliflower',  broccoli Romanesco only appeared  two years ago and baffled everyone!

The beef and broccoli dish is said by some to have been introduced by Chinese immigrants in the US, who substituted the broccoli for what they would otherwise use back in China. I don't entirely buy that theory as there seems to be no dish that comes close. 芥兰 (jiè lán), Cantonese 'gai lan', sometimes known as Chinese broccoli is only vaguely related, and is not usually served in that manner.

However, the beef and broccoli dish is certainly American. I guess the chicken variation is simply that - someone's idea to vary the choice.

When broccoli is served here, it is nearly always simply stir fried with garlic. Occasionally stir fried with ham.

404935966_StirFriedBroccoli.thumb.jpg.b3c355bf967859fca640b9f31bff6a45.jpg

Stir Fried Broccoli with Garlic

Some years ago, there was one small bar / restaurant in Liuzhou operated by a Dutch plumber and his Chinese girlfriend. The only vegetable they ever served from their small menu was boiled broccoli. The place didn't last long. Neither did the romantic relationship, but I don't know if broccoli was entirely to blame for that!

884458551_BroccoliRomanescowithShaiLan(1).thumb.jpg.f7bd39c0ef3bf6508d77da55815a4955.jpg

Broccoli Romanesco with Hunan Ham - All my own work. Cooking and photography!

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. Broccoli Background

broccoli 3.jpg

I recently read somewhere (sorry I forget where) something about someone lamenting that he or she was no longer able to find broccoli and chicken. I'd never heard of the combination. Broccoli and beef, I had heard of but never eaten.

Although China now produces over half the world's supply of this vegetable, it is not at all traditional. Its Chinese name is 西兰花 (xī lán huā), which literally means 'Western Orchid'. 'Western' is used to indicate its origin, which is the Mediterranean region. It was only introduced to China as recently as the 1980s, but even 25 years ago when I arrived, it was very rarely available.

罗马花椰菜 (luó mǎ huā yé cà) or 宝塔花菜 (bǎo tǎ huā cài) - literally, 'pagoda cauliflower',  broccoli Romanesco only appeared  two years ago and baffled everyone!

The beef and broccoli dish is said by some to have been introduced by Chinese immigrants in the US, who substituted the broccoli for what they would otherwise use back in China. I don't entirely buy that theory as there seems to be no dish that comes close. 芥兰 (jiè lán), Cantonese 'gai lan', sometimes known as Chinese broccoli is only vaguely related, and is not usually served in that manner.

However, the beef and broccoli dish is certainly American. I guess the chicken variation is simply that - someone's idea to vary the choice.

When broccoli is served here, it is nearly always simply stir fried with garlic. Occasionally stir fried with ham.

Some years ago, there was one small bar / restaurant in Liuzhou operated by a Dutch plumber and his Chinese girlfriend. The only vegetable they ever served from their small menu was boiled broccoli. The place didn't last long. Neither did the romantic relationship, but I don't know if broccoli was entirely to blame for that!

884458551_BroccoliRomanescowithShaiLan(1).thumb.jpg.f7bd39c0ef3bf6508d77da55815a4955.jpg

Broccoli Romanesco with Hunan Ham

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. Broccoli Background

broccoli 3.jpg

Some years ago, there was one small bar / restaurant in Liuzhou operated by a Dutch plumber and his Chinese girlfriend. The only vegetable they ever served from their small menu was boiled broccoli. The place didn't last long.

liuzhou

liuzhou

24. Broccoli Background

Some years ago, there was one small bar / restaurant in Liuzhou operated by a Dutch plumber and his Chinese girlfriend. The only vegetable they ever served from their small menu was boiled broccoli. The place didn't last long.

broccoli 3.jpg