• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easy cornmeal sour cream biscuits with cheddar and jalapenos

shain

Makes 9 - Can be doubled.

Can be made a short time ahead and reheated and crisped for serving. Can also be frozen.

For variation, replace the spices and chilies with 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, and the cheddar with kashkaval / provolone / etc.

See also cornmeal muffins recipe.

- 200ml sour cream, apx 20% fat

- 60g good Cheddar cheese, grated

- 2 jalapenos (or other chilies), deseeded and chopped. You can also char them first like when making salsa

- 1 small spring onion, sliced finely

~~

- 50g cornmeal

- 140g white flour, pastry flour if available

- 1 tsp toasted coriander seeds, ground

- 1/2 tsp toasted cumin, ground

- Pepper

- Optional: large pinch MSG

- 2 tsp sugar

- 1 tsp salt

- 3 tsp baking powder

- 1/4 tsp baking soda

- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

- Mix remaining ingredients in a second bowl.

- Dust your working surface.

- Heat oven to 230 degrees C.

- Fold wet mixture into dry one into the dry one, pressing and folding bottom up just until it forms a few crumbly dough chunks with some dry flour at the bottom.

- Remove the mixture onto the dusted working surface.

- Dust from above.

- Press together to form a rough rectangle shape.

- Fold the dough in half on top of itself.

- Dust and press to flatten into a rough square shape, apx 3 cm (a bit more than an inch) tall.

- Cut into 9 pieces (3 by 3 grid). Use a bench scraper or a large knife.

- Place spaced on a baking try with parchment paper.

- Bake for 13-16 minutes until lightly browned and baked through.

- Remove from the try and cool on a baking try. 

- You can serve it immediately, but I much prefer to let it chill for 10 minutes and then bake 5 minutes more until brown and crisp.

PXL_20200919_191305901.thumb.jpg.aab61062b93f7505d5dd6d8d53e8b1fb.jpgPXL_20200919_191402347.thumb.jpg.46a327248c3243e991274066a6827aa4.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...

My GI system and capsacin don't play well together, so I used cubano peppers and sun-dried tomatoes for the vegetables. I also used Bob's Red Mill g-f white flour, and the biscuits still were wonderful. Ms. Alex is now a huge fan.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Shai, can one substitute full fat Greek yogurt?

I think so, but they might end up a bit bready. You might want to brush them with some butter/oil for better browning.

Let me know if you do, I might end up making them more often if they can be made lighter when needed.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.