• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easy cornmeal sour cream biscuits with cheddar and jalapenos

Makes 9. Can be doubled.

Can be made a short time ahead and reheated and crisped for serving. Can also be frozen.

For variation, replace the spices and chilies with 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, and the cheddar with kashkaval / provolone / etc.

200g (=200ml) sour cream, apx 20% fat

60g good Cheddar cheese, grated

2 jalapenos (or other chillies), deseeded and chopped. You can also char them first like when making salsa

1 small spring onion, sliced finely

50g cornmeal

140g white flour, pastry flour if available

1 tsp toasted coriander seeds, ground

1/2 tsp toasted cumin, ground

Pepper

Optional: large pinch MSG

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

3 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Mix remaining ingredients in a second bowl.

Dust your working surface.

Heat oven to 230 degree celsius.

Fold wet mixture into dry one into the dry one, pressing and folding bottom up just until it forms a few crumbly dough chunks with some dry flour at the bottom.

Remove the mixture onto the dusted working surface.

Dust from above.

Press together to form a rough rectangle shape.

Fold the dough in half on top of itself.

Dust and press to flatten into a rough square shape, apx 3 cm (a bit more than an inch) tall.

Cut into 9 pieces (3 by 3 grid). Use a bench scraper or a large knife.

Place spaced on a baking try with parchment paper.

Bake for 13-16 minutes until lightly browned and baked through.

Remove from the try and cool on a baking try. 

You can serve it immediately, but I much prefer to let it chill for 10 minutes and then bake 5 minutes more until brown and crisp.

PXL_20200919_191305901.thumb.jpg.aab61062b93f7505d5dd6d8d53e8b1fb.jpgPXL_20200919_191402347.thumb.jpg.46a327248c3243e991274066a6827aa4.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...

My GI system and capsacin don't play well together, so I used cubano peppers and sun-dried tomatoes for the vegetables. I also used Bob's Red Mill g-f white flour, and the biscuits still were wonderful. Ms. Alex is now a huge fan.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Shai, can one substitute full fat Greek yogurt?

I think so, but they might end up a bit bready. You might want to brush them with some butter/oil for better browning.

Let me know if you do, I might end up making them more often if they can be made lighter when needed.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By Kasia
      BAKED PANCAKES WITH MILLET GROATS AND CAULIFLOWER

We like pancakes. My son likes them with sugar regardless of what kind of pancakes I prepare. Today I decided to encourage him to eat some pancakes with something else. I prepared spicy vegetable pancakes. Unfortunately, I underestimated my son. For him, sugar goes with every kind of pancake. The rest of our family ate them with natural Greek yoghurt. I think that they would be excellent with stew, cucumber salsa or fresh salad.

One of the ingredients of these pancakes is nigella, which is increasingly in our kitchen. As well as the taste properties, nigella can be used as an alternative to pepper. Reportedly, it also has healing properties. It has a soothing effect on gastric mucosa, protects the liver and the kidneys and helps alleviate allergies and skin problems. Additionally, cauliflower acts as a decoration in pancakes with millet groats.

The recipe comes from www.naszakasza.pl

Ingredients (15 pancakes)
      100g of millet groats
      200g of cauliflower
      4 tablespoons of wholemeal flour
      half an onion
      a clove of garlic
      3 teaspoons of nigella
      2 eggs
      salt and pepper

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking sheet with some baking paper.
      Boil the millet groats in salty water. Dice the cauliflower and onion. Crush a clove of garlic. Mix together the groats, eggs, cauliflower, flour, onion, garlic and nigella. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Form small pancakes and put them on the baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Even though I would like to change the situation, the winter is coming. Sooner or later there will be sharp winds, frost and unpleasant moisture. I don't know how you like to warm up at home, but on the first cold day I dust off my home recipe for hot and yummy winter teas.

You can use my recipe or come up with your own proposals for fiery mixtures. Only one thing should be the same: your favourite tea must be strong and hot.

Ingredients (for 2 teas)
      Raspberry-orange
      8 cloves
      a piece of cinnamon
      2 grains of cardamom
      4 slices of orange
      2 teaspoons of honey
      your favourite tea
      50ml of raspberry juice or 30ml of raspberry juice and 30ml of raspberry liqueur
      Add 4 of the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of orange with honey. Add the raspberry juice or a mixture of juice and liqueur to the tea. Next add the honey with orange. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and orange.

Lemon-ginger
      8 cloves
      3 slices of fresh ginger
      2 grains of cardamom
      50ml of ginger syrup or 30ml of ginger syrup and 30ml of ginger-lemon liqueur
      4 slices of lemon
      2 teaspoons of honey
      Add 4 of the cloves, ginger and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of lemon with honey. Add the ginger syrup or mixture of syrup and liqueur to the tea. Next add honey with lemon. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and lemon.

Enjoy your drink!