• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

devinf

devinf

I do use isomalt primarily for sugar-free. There are some candies I am experimenting with using xylitol, but that is for a specific type of candy and not for the general product line. But the use of isomalt makes me worry about the higher temperatures as well. I don't want my reds to turn brown or purples into grey (both problems I have had with gel colors - ChefMaster, etc.). Right now my need to find an acceptable high-temp coloring exceeds my need for purely sugar-free.

Edit: to answer your question of gummies.... sugar type really doesn't matter IME unless you are talking pectin-based stuff. The gelatin is gonna do it's thing so trust in that. For gummies, the only thing I concern myself with is sweetness levels.

devinf

devinf

I do use isomalt primarily for sugar-free. There are some candies I am experimenting with using xylitol, but that is for a specific type of candy and not for the general product line. But the use of isomalt makes me worry about the higher temperatures as well. I don't want my reds to turn brown or purples into grey (both problems I have had with gel colors - ChefMaster, etc.). Right now my need to find an acceptable high-temp coloring exceeds my need for purely sugar-free.