• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

1 hour ago, shain said:

I'm considering purchasing a bernzomatic ts8000 torch.

I often char stuff over the direct flame of a gas range, and never noticed off flavor. I don't know if I'm less sensitive or if it's indeed a matter of having a clean burn.

Anyone familiar with this torch (or can recommend others)?

The one you want is the Bernzomatic BZ4500HS - a heat shrink torch.  Clean burn and nice wide flame.  I have been using one for many years now.  The main thing about torches is to make sure you get one with a regulator built in - that allows you to have the tank above the torch head without liquid propane flowing into the torch which causes a flameout and I suspect is responsible for "torch taste" since none of the cheaper "culinary" torches are regulated.

mgaretz

mgaretz

1 hour ago, shain said:

I'm considering purchasing a bernzomatic ts8000 torch.

I often char stuff over the direct flame of a gas range, and never noticed off flavor. I don't know if I'm less sensitive or if it's indeed a matter of having a clean burn.

Anyone familiar with this torch (or can recommend others)?

The one you want is the Bernzomatic BZ4500HS - a heat shrink torch.  Clean burn and nice wide flame.  I have been using one for many years now.