• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Five years after starting this topic, I finally found something this morning that I've been looking for here all that time and longer. Eryngium foetidum.

Variously known as sawtooth coriander, culantro (not cilantro), Mexican coriander, Thai coriander, long leaf coriander and many other names. I first encountered it as ngò gai in Vietnam. With a similar but stronger taste than the well-known cilantro or coriander leaf, it also retains its flavour when dried, unlike its more famous near-namesake.

Here it is known as 广东香菜 (guǎng dōng xiāng cài) or Guangdong coriander, although it has no real connection with that province.

1173505703_culantrosawtooth1024.thumb.jpg.5e7f05c92ec3a37dbff9edb3e31d9fe4.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Five years after starting this topic, I finally found something this morning that I've been looking for here all that time and longer. Eryngium foetidum.

Variously known as sawtooth coriander, culantro (not cilantro), Mexican coriander, Thai coriander, long leaf coriander and many other names. I first encountered it as ngò gai in Vietnam. With a similar but stronger taste then the well-known cilantro or coriander leaf, it also retains its flavour when dried, unlike its more famous near-namesake.

Here it is known as 广东香菜 (guǎng dōng xiāng cài) or Guangdong coriander, although it has no real connection with that province.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Variously known as sawtooth coriander, culantro (not cilantro), Mexican coriander, Thai coriander, long leaf coriander and many other names. I first encountered it as ngò gai in Vietnam. With a similar but stronger taste then the well-known cilantro or coriander leaf, it also retains its flavour when dried, unlike it's more famous near-namesake.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Variously known as sawtooth coriander, culantro (not cilantro), Mexican coriander, Thai coriander, long leaf coriander and many other names. I first encountered it as Ngò Gai in Vietnam. With a similar but stronger taste then the well-known cilantro or coriander leaf, it also retains its flavour when dried, unlike it's more famous near-namesake.