• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

What do they taste like? Do you use them regularly?

I find they are slightly sweet but with a bitterish *but not unpleasant note. Also slightly nutty. I have seen reports of a subtle gingery 'warming effect', only found in good quality beans. It is hard for me to comment on that as I only see these cooked and I find them to be over-cooked for my liking. That may have muted those gingery notes. 

I've only had them a couple of times; they're OK but not a favourite. If I ever see the uncooked beans, I'll get some and re-evaluate.

liuzhou

liuzhou

46 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What do they taste like? Do you use them regularly?

I find they are slightly sweet but with a bitterish bbut not unpleasant note. Also slightly nutty. I have seen reports of a subtle gingery 'warming effect', only found in good quality beans. It is hard for me to comment on that as I only see these cooked and I find them to be over-cooked for my liking. That may have muted those gingery notes. 

I've only had them a couple of times; they're OK but not a favourite. If I ever see the uncooked beans, I'll get some and re-evaluate.