• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

Apologies for being so slow with posting, it's a busy month.

So still on the road Westwards towards Tbilisi, we stopped at a local farmers market. Many sellers had very small stocks, to my understanding they were selling their gardens crop. A few sellers were selling at larger scales.

IMG_20180922_163903.jpg

DSCF8593.JPG

Pickling herbs - bay, dill/fennel blossoms and seed heads.

DSCF8596.JPG

Corn, flour, beans (seemingly only cranberry and similar cultivars, I haven't seen any other type sold or used), sunflower seeds are popular as snack.

DSCF8600.JPGDSCF8615.thumb.JPG.df245a77ef5ef337c876256cda75ac73.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

Aromatic herbs, bery fresh and can be smelled all around (dill, cilantro, parsley, purple basil, tiny scallions). Also lettuce and radishes.

DSCF8604.JPG

Delicious sweet peppers and green hot chilies.

DSCF8611.JPGDSCF8594.JPG

We were passing by Surami, where I've read one can find Nazuki, a traditional sweet bread flavored with spices and baked in a wood fired tonis oven, rarely found anywhere else [image]. I was excited to have the chance to sample such a regional specialty. The sellers at the market pointed us to the nearby bakery, where the two old ladies there shook their heads and explained in a mixture of English and Russian that we should head on towards the town. So we did. We spent a while there, enjoying the small town and the nearby village. But the bread was nowhere to be found :(

shain

shain

So still on the road Westwards towards Tbilisi, we stopped at a local farmers market. Many sellers had very small stocks, to my understanding they were selling their gardens crop. A few sellers were selling at larger scales.

IMG_20180922_163903.jpg

DSCF8593.JPG

DSCF8594.JPG

DSCF8596.JPG

Corn, flour, beans (seemingly only cranberry and similar cultivars, I haven't seen any other type sold or used), sunflower seeds are popular as snack.

DSCF8600.JPGDSCF8615.thumb.JPG.df245a77ef5ef337c876256cda75ac73.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

DSCF8604.JPG

DSCF8611.JPG

We were passing by Surami, where I've read one can find Nazuki, a traditional sweet bread flavored with spices and baked in a wood fired tonis oven, rarely found anywhere else [image]. I was excited to have the chance to sample such a regional specialty. The sellers at the market pointed us to the nearby bakery, where the two old ladies there shook their heads and explained in a mixture of English and Russian that we should head on towards the town. So we did. We spent a while there, enjoying the small town and the nearby village. But the bread was nowhere to be found :(

shain

shain

IMG_20180922_163903.jpg

DSCF8593.JPG

DSCF8594.JPG

DSCF8596.JPG

DSCF8600.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

DSCF8604.JPG

DSCF8611.JPG

shain

shain

We were passing by Surami, where I've read one can find Nazuki, a traditional sweet bread flavored with spices and baked in a wood fired tonis oven, rarely found anywhere else. I was excited to have the chance to sample such a regional specialty. The sellers at the market pointed us to the nearby bakery, where the two old ladies there shook their heads and explained in a mixture of English and Russian that we should head on towards the town. So we did. We spent a while there, enjoying the small town and the nearby village. But the bread was nowhere to be found :(

IMG_20180922_163903.jpg

DSCF8593.JPG

DSCF8594.JPG

DSCF8596.JPG

DSCF8600.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

DSCF8604.JPG

DSCF8611.JPG