• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@shain  when you say the egg was fully liquid, do you mean raw?

Almost, I believe the egg is cracked raw on the khachapuri as it goes out of the oven. By the short time it took it to be served and photographed, it cooked enough to thicken a little, the egg white was just starting to set. The egg is traditionally mixed into the cheese (or so I understood), but we couldn't resist dipping the two bready knobs into the yolk. The white we mixed into the cheese.

It's nice how you dip into the cheese pieces from the vessel in which it's contained.

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That is the Georgian bread that I dream of!      Perhaps one day I will attempt again.

I'm sure going to, once the weather here chills enough for ovens and hearty, cheesy food.

Do you have insights to share from your previous attempt at it?

I barely skimmed through a couple of recpies, but my impression is that the dough is very pizza/pita like, enriched with yogurt. Lacking the proper georgian imeruli and sulguni, I plan on using a mixture of sirene, fresh mozz and some greek yogurt for flavor.

shain

shain

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Almost, I believe the egg is cracked raw on the khachapuri as it goes out of the oven. By the short time it took it to be served and photographed, it cooked enough to thicken a little, the egg white was just starting to set. The egg is traditionally mixed into the cheese (or so I understood), but we couldn't resist dipping the two bready knobs into the yolk. The white we mixed into the cheese.

It's nice how you dip into the cheese pieces from the vessel in which it's contained.

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That is the Georgian bread that I dream of!      Perhaps one day I will attempt again.

I'm sure going to, once the weather here chills enough for ovens and hearty, cheesy food.

I barely skimmed through a couple of recpies, but my impression is that the dough is very pizza/pita like, enriched with yogurt. Lacking the proper georgian imeruli and sulguni, I plan on using a mixture of sirene, fresh motz and some greek yogurt for flavor.

shain

shain

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Almost, I believe the egg is cracked raw on the khachapuri as it goes out of the oven. By the short time it took it to be served and photographed, is cooked enough to thicken, the egg white was just starting to set. The egg is traditionally mixed into the cheese (or so I understood), but we couldn't resist dipping the two bready knobs into the yolk. The white we mixed into the cheese.

It just came to my mind that it's a little like a fondue, served inside the bread you dip into it (but tastes nothing like one).

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I barely skimmed through a couple of recpies, but my impression is that the dough is very pizza/pita like, enriched with yogurt. Lacking the proper georgian imeruli and sulguni, I plan on using a mixture of sirene, fresh motz and some greek yogurt for flavor.