• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

monto39

monto39

And (PastryGirl),  I think those Zoot Rocks are really well done.  They make great edibles in general, but the Zoot Rocks in particular are consistently good - something rare in our industry.

My experience with flavors in oil base is that they only work if they are sufficiently concentrated (I haven't found any yet that are).  I just did a batch with an oil based flavoring that comprised 2% of the total weight.  The batch turned out greasy and sloppy.  So the threshold is definitely less than 2%.  I'm guessing if you could reach the depth of flavor you needed with < 1% of the weight it may work, but not ideal either.

Citrus essential oils did work, I always used them in conjunction with other flavors.  I found that using just citrus oils left a sharp burn on my tongue if I used only them for the flavoring.

monto39

monto39

And (PastryGirl),  I think those Zoot Rocks are really well done.  They make great edibles in general, but the Zoot Rocks in particular are consistently good - something rare in our industry