• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How about some super easy Coconut Rice for dinner?

Deeps

This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.

Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

1521542277_Coconutrice_Watermarked-min.thumb.jpg.5898faf5ee1477344a3f7e81905593ef.jpg

Prep Time : 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins

Serves: 2

Ingredients:

1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
1 green chili, slit
1 dried red chili
1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste

Directions

1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.

3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.

4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.

5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.

• Like 4