• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

afs

afs

Edit: I am not sure if the USB port is still a feature. There's a port/hole of some sort there.

23 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

ChefSteps announced a home version coming out in April. Practically exactly the same. $999 for their studio pass members. 

Very cool.  $200 cheaper (plus an extra $300 off, for a limited quantity, for $69/yr. ChefSteps subscribers).  US-only, 1800W-only, for now.

It looks like it's not a "washdown-style" unit like the regular commercial units, but most homes aren't looking for that high of a level of water resistance.  Breville slimmed down the machine a bit to make it more manageable in homes, without reducing the coil size or residential cooling capacity.  Commercial kitchens and residences in very hot climates may still want the commercial version though, as it's designed for higher ambient temperatures.

The touchscreen interface, the custom program creation, etc. are all nifty.  I see that Breville removed the 6 screen-edge buttons and the time knob.  I'm not sure that the time knob got used much, but I sure hope there's an easy way to use the knob to adjust heat intensity (i.e. not rely on the screen).  That middle-right button is virtually the only button I ever use other than the power button.

Here's the comparison chart:
https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/jFOrapLTBOLzkuxAf65w

I'm really tempted to pick one of these up.  Even with a couple regular Control Freaks and one Control Freak home, it's usually easy to move a pan from one unit to another without losing the pan temperature or the current temperature setting--so it wouldn't be hard to integrate this into a daily cooking workflow at home.

afs

afs

Edit: I am not sure if the USB port is still a feature. There's a port/hole of some sort there.

7 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

ChefSteps announced a home version coming out in April. Practically exactly the same. $999 for their studio pass members. 

Very cool.  $200 cheaper (plus an extra $300 off, for a limited quantity, for $69/yr. ChefSteps subscribers).  US-only, 1800W-only, for now.

It looks like it's not a "washdown-style" unit like the regular commercial units, but most homes aren't looking for that high of a level of water resistance.  Breville slimmed down the machine a bit to make it more manageable in homes, without reducing the coil size or residential cooling capacity.  Commercial kitchens an residences in very hot climates may still want to commercial version though, as it's designed for higher ambient temperatures.

The touchscreen interface, the custom program creation, etc. are all nifty.  I see that Breville removed the 6 screen-edge buttons and the time knob.  I'm not sure that the time knob got used much, but I sure hope there's an easy way to use the knob to adjust heat intensity (i.e. not rely on the screen).  That middle-right button is virtually the only button I ever use other than the power button.

Here's the comparison chart:
https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/jFOrapLTBOLzkuxAf65w

I'm really tempted to pick one of these up.  Even with a couple regular Control Freaks and one Control Freak home, it's usually easy to move a pan from one unit to another without losing the pan temperature or the current temperature setting--so it wouldn't be hard to integrate this into a daily cooking workflow at home.

afs

afs

Edit: USB port may still be included as a feature

It looks like it's not a "washdown-style" unit like the regular commercial units, but most homes aren't looking for that high of a level of water resistance.  Breville slimmed down the machine a bit to make it more manageable in homes, without reducing the coil size or residential cooling capacity.  Commercial kitchens an residences in very hot climates may still want to commercial version though, as it's designed for higher ambient temperatures.

afs

afs

The touchscreen interface, the custom program creation, etc. are all nifty.  I see that Breville removed the 6 screen-edge buttons, the time knob and the USB slot.  I'm not sure that the time knob and USB slot got used much, but I sure hope there's an easy way to use the knob to adjust heat intensity (i.e. not rely on the screen).  That middle-right button is virtually the only button I ever use other than the power button.