• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Standard dishes

Alexandra,

I am a relatively new vegetarian (3.5 years), and in that time I have noticed that middling-to-good restaurants in Britain have moved from serving me some sort of goat's cheese as a main course, to offering me wild mushroom risotto. Could you tell me how many years I will have to wait until a new vegetarian main becomes available in such restaurants? I am led to believe that staples such as nut roasts and stuffed peppers dominated menus for many years, and I am not sure how many more wild mushroom risotti I can take.

Hmmm... sounds like you are not finding exciting vegetarian offerings at your local (in Britain??) restaurants. What about going to someplace ethnic: Thai, Chinese, Indian, ItalianÑall offer fine all-veg cooking and will provide a change from mushroom risotto. I can only speak for restaurants in the DC area, but certainly there is a concerted effort to offer interesting and flavorful vegetarian dishes by several high-end restaurants. Good luck in your search, and hope that helps.