• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

Reading about eating canned bean and creamed soups reminds me of my childhood when my Mother utilized these things regularly.  Constantly.  Endlessly.  When I wasn't eating a tough as shoe leather steak...I was eating canned soup.  I have to admit that I hate just about all canned soups, Habitant Pea Soup being the one exception that comes to mind.  And then we alter the soup so much that it leaves its original nature far behind.  

Any dish which calls for using a can of creamed chicken or celery soup is not ever going to be served in our house.   I'm not a cooking snob...I just hate the taste of canned soups.   

ps.  Add cream of mushroom to the forbidden list.

Darienne

Darienne

Reading about eating canned bean and creamed soups reminds me of my childhood when my Mother utilized these things regularly.  Constantly.  Endlessly.  When I wasn't eating a tough as shoe leather steak...I was eating canned soup.  I have to admit that I hate just about all canned soups, Habitant Pea Soup being the one exception that comes to mind.  And then we alter the soup so much that it leaves its original nature far behind.  

Any dish which calls for using a can of creamed chicken or celery soup is not ever going to be served in our house.   I'm not a cooking snob...I just hate the taste of canned soups.