• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 8/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, Auspicious said:

I know I'm dredging this up. I feel strongly about the issue. I'm a reasonably generous tipper. I review checks carefully. If there is an automatic tip I object and always have it taken off. Period. Dot. Then I explain to the server that their employer has cost them a tip. Mean? Maybe. Principal? Definitely. Just not okay.

I've been told "this is our policy." My response is two-fold. 1. then get the policy-maker here and we'll talk. 2. You advertised one price and charged another. See you in court. Usually those two do it.

The entire concept of adding 18% or any number, usually on top of the advertised price PLUS tax, is offensive.

Now if you want to establish a no-tipping policy, advertise it, charge higher prices accordingly, and pay your staff accordingly then I'll be first in line. My club works that way - no tips to staff ever. There are bonuses - stopping to see the restaurant manager or house manager about special service will be noted. I'm good with that.

Are you serious?! I sincerely doubt you are a “generous” tipper.  “See you in court”?! Over what— at most $100-200? Petty. 

Any club I have gone to or been a member at automatically includes a gratuity charge. This has been the case at a slew of country clubs (including ones that host the PGA Championship), dining clubs and Yatch Clubs. I was at the Hamilton Princess Yacht Club this week and there was a mandatory 17% gratuity. 

I never tip less than 20%. The server is not always the issue. People have bad days. If I can afford to dine out then I can afford to tip. 

How does your refusal to accept an automatic gratuity on a check even make sense? 100% of the time I have encountered it, it was listed on the website and if not the menu of the establishment. If you didn’t read the fine print that’s your problem. Not the servers. 

How entitled you must be to think you can “speak to the owner” and have them adjust their business practices to suit your needs. I’m glad people like me can make up for people like you. I sincerely hope you do not fine out frequently. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 8/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, Auspicious said:

I know I'm dredging this up. I feel strongly about the issue. I'm a reasonably generous tipper. I review checks carefully. If there is an automatic tip I object and always have it taken off. Period. Dot. Then I explain to the server that their employer has cost them a tip. Mean? Maybe. Principal? Definitely. Just not okay.

I've been told "this is our policy." My response is two-fold. 1. then get the policy-maker here and we'll talk. 2. You advertised one price and charged another. See you in court. Usually those two do it.

The entire concept of adding 18% or any number, usually on top of the advertised price PLUS tax, is offensive.

Now if you want to establish a no-tipping policy, advertise it, charge higher prices accordingly, and pay your staff accordingly then I'll be first in line. My club works that way - no tips to staff ever. There are bonuses - stopping to see the restaurant manager or house manager about special service will be noted. I'm good with that.

Are you serious?! I sincerely doubt you are a “generous” tipper. 

Any club I have gone to or been a member at automatically includes a gratuity charge. This has been the case at a slew of country clubs (including ones that host the PGA Championship), dining clubs and Yatch Clubs. I was at the Hamilton Princess Yacht Club this week and there was a mandatory 17% gratuity. 

I never tip less than 20%. The server is not always the issue. People have bad days. If I can afford to dine out then I can afford to tip. 

How does your refusal to accept an automatic gratuity on a check even make sense? 100% of the time I have encountered it, it was listed on the website and if not the menu of the establishment. If you didn’t read the fine print that’s your problem. Not the servers. 

How entitled you must be to think you can “speak to the owner” and have them adjust their business practices to suit your needs. I’m glad people like me can make up for people like you. I sincerely hope you do not fine out frequently.