• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I am paying close attention to this thread. I don't own a pressure cooker or a slow cooker or an IP,

Pressure cooking and slow cooking are not interchangeable. They are for different recipes. Just like deep frying is not the same as steaming.

One thing I always find surprising is the number of comments from users who tout the fact that they can't smell what's cooking in any of these machines. I like the smell of the foods I cook permeating the kitchen and beyond.

The aroma that fills the whole house is the aroma no longer in your food.

(edit: We were posting at the same time, JoNorvelleWalker )

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The single advantage of a crock pot is its  cheap. But the low temp on them tends to be too high...over 200 perhaps by a lot. And that is neither low nor slow.  

I think you know what a router speed controller (PWM voltage controller) is. (You are the one who knew what a gear puller is, if I remember correctly ). Plug an electric pot/cooker into a router speed controller ($20.00) and you can control temperature from 0 watts to full watts.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I am paying close attention to this thread. I don't own a pressure cooker or a slow cooker or an IP,

Pressure cooking and slow cooking are not interchangeable. They are for different recipes. Just like deep frying is not the same as steaming.

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One thing I always find surprising is the number of comments from users who tout the fact that they can't smell what's cooking in any of these machines. I like the smell of the foods I cook permeating the kitchen and beyond.

The aroma that fills the whole house is the aroma no longer in your food.

38 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The single advantage of a crock pot is its  cheap. But the low temp on them tends to be too high...over 200 perhaps by a lot. And that is neither low nor slow.  

I think you know what a router speed controller (PWM voltage controller) is. (You are the one who knew what a gear puller is, if I remember correctly ). Plug an electric pot/cooker into a router speed controller ($20.00) and you can control temperature from 0 watts to full watts.

dcarch