• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

22 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The only advantage that stainless would offer over the extruded polycarbonate housing is aesthetic.

Maybe.  In pretty much every other choice I've ever made between SS and plastic, plastic has been less durable, long-lived and gotten more beat up over time.  Parts change dimension over time, get brittle, discolored, tabs break off, etc., etc.

I guess I'm a Luddite, because I almost always choose corded over battery, and manual over electronic, glass over polycarb when I have a meaningful choice.

If you use the magnet, how high off the pan floor is the "Max" mark on the Joule?  IOW, what is the maximum bath depth when it sits on the bottom?  I guess from what you said above, there is a very small minimum fill, but why would anyone want a really shallow bath?

boilsover

boilsover

19 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The only advantage that stainless would offer over the extruded polycarbonate housing is aesthetic.

Maybe.  In pretty much every other choice I've ever made between SS and plastic, plastic has been less durable, long-lived and gotten more beat up over time.  Parts change dimension over time, get brittle, discolored, tabs break off, etc., etc.

I guess I'm a Luddite, because I almost always choose corded over battery, and manual over electronic, when I have a meaningful choice.

If you use the magnet, how high off the pan floor is the "Max" mark on the Joule?  IOW, what is the maximum bath depth when it sits on the bottom?  I guess from what you said above, there is a very small minimum fill, but why would anyone want a really shallow bath?

boilsover

boilsover

9 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I guess I'm a Luddite, because I almost always choose corded over battery, and manual over electronic, when I have a meaningful choice.

If you use the magnet, how high off the pan floor is the "Max" mark on the Joule?