• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

Finally I had an opportunity to use the 17g Cabrellon flattened dome discussed in this thread and to display it alongside the Chocolate World 17g dome I have been using for quite some time.  In the photo below it hardly seems that both molds have the same capacity.  The Cabrellon is a large mold.  If I had ordered custom molds, I would have had them made a few millimeters smaller in diameter and a few millimeters taller, but the difference in price between buying this mold vs. having one custom made is, of course, quite substantial.  At first the size of the new mold made it look out of place, but since I use molds of many different sizes (including a half-sphere that is only a couple of millimeters smaller), it doesn't seem so odd when it has been placed in a tray.  It is more difficult to fill than I expected.  I use it for bonbons with multiple layers, and when a layer is one of those ganaches that is quite viscous, it is tricky to spread it over the diameter of the mold before it becomes too thick.  As I hoped, bonbons release more easily from the mold (to be expected from its shorter height and slightly sloped sides).  All things considered, I am glad I found the mold and have ordered more of them in time for holiday production.

molds.thumb.jpg.1a4fdb20aa4184a575622b045b4ed9a2.jpg

Jim D.

Jim D.

Finally I had an opportunity to use the 17g Cabrellon flattened dome discussed in this thread and to display it alongside the Chocolate World 17g dome I have been using for quite some time.  In the photo below it hardly seems that both molds have the same capacity.  The Cabrellon is a large mold.  If I had ordered custom molds, I would have had them made a few millimeters smaller in diameter and a few millimeters taller, but the difference in price between buying this mold vs. having one custom made is, of course, quite substantial.  At first the size of the new mold made it look out of place, but since I use molds of many different sizes (including a half-sphere that is only a couple of millimeters smaller), it doesn't seem so odd when it has been placed in a tray.  It is more difficult to fill than I expected.  I use it for bonbons with multiple layers, and when a layer is one of those ganaches that is quite viscous, it is tricky to spread it over the diameter of the mold before it becomes too thick.  As I hoped, bonbons release more easily from the mold (to be expected from its shorter height and slightly sloped sides).  All things considered, I am glad  found the mold and have ordered more of them in time for holiday production.

molds.thumb.jpg.1a4fdb20aa4184a575622b045b4ed9a2.jpg