• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese take-out

With all the stir fry dishes and so much of what Chinese restaurants feature being perpared a al minute, I've never found Chinese food particulalry suitable to take out and when it's delivered in the cardboard boxes, it tastes a bit like the cardboard. My guess is that it's cheap and thus suitable for take out.

Not long ago, while walking in a hurry in Manhattan, I passed by an Indian restaurant and was struck by the sign that said "EAT IN STYLE." As I walked beyond the restaurant the nagging question arose in my mind, was the restaurant offering an opportunity for the diner to enjoy his meal in a stylish setting or did they prepare a style of food not intended for take out.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Our family has a chinese take-out story. My dad called up our then favorite Szechuan local and placed an order that included a dozen egg rolls. Stunned silence on the other end of the phone. Then some vigorous discussion in chinese followed by a very calm and deliberate voice saying, "Excuse me, sir, but you want a thousand egg rolls??"

My dad repeats, "No, a dozen, a dozen."

A very excited voice this time, "YOU WANT A THOUSAND EGG ROLLS!?!?"

Dearest dad: "No! No! twelve! twleve!."

Voice (calm and friendly again): "Twelve. OK, no problem, see you soon!"

I can picture the poor guy reaching for his heart medication after he hangs up the phone.