• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Atlanta restaurants avoiding construction

UnConundrum

I'm assuming you're referring to the bridge construction on interstate 85.  Assuming that, there are tons of great places on the downtown/midtown side -- frankly most of the best ATL places are on that side although there are not great options in the immediate vicinity (i.e. walking distance) of the convention itself.  Here's a list by rough location:

Westside/Midtown -- a short drive from GWCC heading north up Marietta St. to Howell Mill/Northside:

Cooks & Soldiers -- Spanish/Basque.  If you haven't had this before I'd loosely describe it as upscale tapas, lots of woodfire grilled options.  One of my favorites for groups.

The Optimist -- seafood.  Probably best seafood in ATL but is inconsistent.

Miller Union -- Upscale/refined southern, very very good.

Better Half -- small & funky, modernist dishes, but in an extremely casual atmosphere 

Antico -- really great pizza.  Best in town and some of the best I've had anywhere

Marcel --  Steakhouse -- relatively new restaurant but inspired by old-school (as in prewar 20th century) steakhouses.  Bring a fat wallet though 

East/Old 4th Ward/Inman Park -- from the GWCC head east on Edgewood again a short drive

BoccaLupo -- fantastic pasta

Staplehouse -- flat out probably the best restaurant in ATL, but books out well in advance.  That said, they have first come first serve seating at a small bar every night. Very high end food, but casual environment. 

One-Eared Stag -- a bit hard to describe -- very quirky funky take on southern food.  One of my top 3-5 restaurants in town -- but definitely for more adventurous eaters as many dishes feature game or odd animal parts.  If you're still in town on Sunday they have a great brunch.

Fox Bros. BBQ -- a decent southern style bbq joint.  We southerners are pretty particular about bbq, and Fox Bros. isn't the best in any particular category but it is uniformly good and is a fine place to get your fix of southern style bbq.

Rathbun's Steak -- honestly not my favorite steak among ATL steakhouses, but has the best sides/appetizers of steakhouses.   

FoodHalls -- There are also two fantastic food halls on this side of town: Krog Street Market and a little north of that Ponce City Market.

Krog Street Market -- My favorites are Superica (tex mex), Fred's Meat and Bread (awesome sandwiches/burgers) and Ticonderoga Club (great cocktails). Also a killer beer shop/bar Hop City

Pone City Market -- highlights are WH Stiles Fish Camp, El Super Pan, Biltong Bar, Hop's Chicken

I could go on but that should give you more than enough options to consider.  Enjoy your visit should be good weather this weekend