• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rude, Rude, Rude

CooksQuest

I found myself visiting a friend on the Upper East Side last sunday with my wife, and thought I would catch a brunch a J.G. Mellon (3rd and 70 something St.)

I parked 5 blocks from the restaurant (one hour meter) and proceeded to brunch. We put my name on the list and was told it would be about a 20-25 minute wait. After waiting 20 minutes inside the restaurant -- drinking some drinks purchased at their bar -- I thought that I should put a full hour in the meter and walked briskly to the car (leaving my wife and friend at the restaurant).

When I came back no more that 7-8 minutes later, I found the two outside. They had walked out. The owner (an older gentleman who has been selling J.G. Mellon's burgers for the past 30 years or so -- according to yesterday's New York Times) said he couldn't seat them because I wasn't there.

They explained I would be back instantly. He was extremely rude, reportedly using a very harsh tone (strange since he had been "flirting" with them just prior to the waitress calling our name).

I had even told them exactly what to order for me (a bacon cheeseburger with fries). He reportedly said, "where did he park, in the Bronx"? We were left to search for a new brunch place. By that time it was 2:00 in the afternoon.

Luckily for the restaurant, my wife and friend did not allow me in to have a word with the old guy. I'm still upset about how lousy they were treated. Seriously -- I would have been back immediately. And we had been waiting there, putting in time. It was not a situation where we were waiting for a friend that may or may not show up.

Oh, and about those fries.... We saw the waitress eat a few of them off of the plates waiting at the warming rack just before she served them to the unsuspecting guests. (The plates were waiting for about 5 minutes even after the bell was rung by the cook).

Apologies in advance for the venting.

Edited by CooksQuest (log)

I'm aghast. Not my fault but I feel like apologizing. Sorry.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Vent away. That may take the cake for "Worst Service of the Week"...possible thread, with prizes? :biggrin:

I absolutely have no idea why they did what they did. None.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And you're surprised? This is the way Melon's has been doing business for years. Look, the place is very small and the wait, especially on Sunday, feels interminable. And there is nothing worse than people moaning about how someone "just stepped out for a minute, but will be right back." While that may have been true in your case, most of the people trotting out that line are flat out lying. So Melon's has a policy -- if you're not there, you lose your place in line (this prevents one person from showing up to wait for a table for four). A fair policy applied equally across the board.

Besides, why did you feel the need to feed the meter after only 20 minutes? Go back to the burbs.

And you're surprised?  This is the way Melon's has been doing business for years.  Look, the place is very small and the wait, especially on Sunday, feels interminable.  And there is nothing worse than people moaning about how someone "just stepped out for a minute, but will be right back."  While that may have been true in your case, most of the people trotting out that line are flat out lying.  So Melon's has a policy -- if you're not there, you lose your place in line (this prevents one person from showing up to wait for a table for four).  A fair policy applied equally across the board.

Besides, why did you feel the need to feed the meter after only 20 minutes?  Go back to the burbs.

Your logic is faulty. They came in as three people and asked for a table for three. The greeter must have known that. Cooksquest told his companions to order for him. There's no reason to be rude. As far as going to pay the meter after 20 mins maybe cooksquest didn't want to go out in the cold after he sat to eat, besides NYC couldn't survive without the "burbs". You and your like couldn't spend enough to keep it going.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Besides, why did you feel the need to feed the meter after only 20 minutes?  Go back to the burbs.

An ad hominem attack. Not necessary.

Nevertheless, I felt the need to feed the meter after only 20 minutes because I figured, by the time I got back I would be seated (or just about to be seated) and would have only 60 - (20 +8) = 32 minutes to eat my food. Just under an hour would have been much better. Also, he watched us drink his drinks for the 20 minutes. He knew we existed. If I made a mistake, it was not first speaking to him. But he had no right to take such a harsh tone with them.

Also, I used to live in Manhattan at 77th and 3rd! I still feel as if it is my neighborhood. It's been many years, and even the guys at the corner liquor store still recognize me! That's why I suggested J.G. Mellon in the first place.

I love the burbs, by the way. And I love Manhattan. But....I don't live in the burbs. Hold you breath... I live in.......Hoboken (another State). Holy Cow!

Torpor? Part of its definition includes, ".. partial or total insensibility." Doesn't that describe NYC?

Only on Saturday night, when the brats from the suburbs come in (Jimmy Breslin called them the "pimply legions from New Jersey"), get drunk and throw up in the street.