• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

daveb

daveb

OK, watched the vid with knife vs tomato.  I think this would work fine for most households and their knives.  Gotta admit I've not considered coring a tomato as shown - I've always quartered them and then angle cut the core out - cause that's the way I first learned.  I'll probably try that later today.  I'll use a straight blade as mine are sharp and I need clean cuts so that juice does not run out of them.  Most households would be better served with serrated as their chef knives will be duller than an Al Gore speach.

daveb

daveb

OK, watched the vid with knife vs tomato.  I think this would work fine for most households and their knives.  Gotta admit I've not considered coring a tomato as shown before - I've always quartered them and then angle cut the core out - cause that's the way I first learned.  I'll probably try that later today.  I'll use a straight blade as mine are sharp and I need clean cuts so that juice does not run out of them.  Most households would be better served with serrated as their chef knives will be duller than an Al Gore speach.