• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive been fortunate to do some woodworking.

you want to put the finish on thick, because well  less to do later ?

nope.  thin.   even thiner than that.  repeat. and repeat 

Exactly, rotuts!  I used to make my own frames for my artworks, often with exotic woods - my clients were willing to pay - and the very thin varnish would require at least 24 hours of drying time, sometimes more, especially for some the woods with variable porosity.  Zebra wood is notorious for that, and some woods resist varnish that is too thick - in the '70s, when Koa wood was still legal, I would sometimes have to do 8 applications of varnish to get that depth of clear finish that best enhanced the red color.

With my cast iron, the "newer" stuff that did not have a ground finish, often took a dozen or more applications to get a smooth coating of seasoning.

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Ive been fortunate to do some woodworking.

you want to put the finish on thick, because well  less to do later ?

nope.  thin.   even thiner than that.  repeat. and repeat 

Exactly, rotuts!  I used to make my own frames for my artworks, often with exotic woods - my clients were willing to pay - and the very thin varnish would require at least 24 hours of drying time, sometimes more, especially for some the woods with variable porosity.  Zebra wood is notorious for that, and some woods resist varnish that is too thick - in the '70s, when Koa wood was still legal, I would sometimes have to do 8 applications of varnish to get that depth of clear finish that best enhanced the red color.