• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I didn't think there was any way to season cast iron except with bacon grease. At least that's all I ever knew to be used when I was a kid.

For many years I used lard (home rendered) and it worked great for me.

However, for the past couple of decades I have friends who are Muslim, Jewish or vegan and out of respect for them, totally cleaned my cast iron and re-seasoned them with oils that have a vegetable base.  Except for my antique griddle, which I still grease with bacon skin - one of the reasons I buy slab bacon from time to time.  

That griddle has a surface that looks like black porcelain. And I only use it for my own food.

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I didn't think there was any way to season cast iron except with bacon grease. At least that's all I ever knew to be used when I was a kid.

For many years I used lard (home rendered) and it worked great for me.

However, for the past couple of decades I have friends who are Muslim, Jewish or vegan and out of respect for them, totally cleaned my cast iron and re-seasoned them with oils that have a vegetable base.  Except for my antique griddle, which I still grease with bacon skin - one of the reasons I buy slab bacon from time to time.  

That griddle has a surface that looks like black porcelain.