• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

Typo

A couple of bakes from “ Modernist Bread”.  From the workbook on page 38, The Van Over Method for Lean Bread, intended mostly for baguettes but there are suggestions for a batard and a boule.

The  batard was half of the recipe, the boule was 500 g rather than 605g.

These are made in the food processor, I did a little hand kneading to achieve a window pane.  My Cuisinart struggled with the 500g. amount as I rested it at the 30 second mix with intentions of resting 5 minutes and running for the additional 45seconds. It wouldn’t run properly so I split the dough in half and then proceeded.

Both breads were baked in a Granite Ware, the batard in a hot oven on a stone , the boule in a cold oven on a stone.

This is a simple lean dough that is at its best on day one.  To the boule I added 1T ~ rye flour and  a very well olive oiled container in an effort to increase the shelf life.  I have Van Over’s bread book but haven’t baked from it in a very long time as I have pretty muched switched to sourdough. This bread can be made in about five hours and I found it very enjoyable.

IMG_6338.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

A couple of bakes from “ Modernist Bread”.  From the workbook on page 38, The Van Over Method for Lean Bread, intended mostly for baguettes but there are suggestions for a batard and a boule.

The  batard was half of the recipe, the boule was 500 g rather than 605g.

These are made in the food processor, I did a little hand kneading to achieve a window pane.  My Cuisinart struggled with the 500g. amount as I rested it at the 30 second mix with intentions of resting 5 minutes and running for the additional 45seconds. It wouldn’t run properly so I split the dough in half and then proceeded.

Both breads were baked in a Granite Ware, the batard in a hot oven on a stone , the boule in a cold oven on a stone.

This is a simple lean dough that isn’t its best on day one.  To the boule I added 1T ~ rye flour and  a very well olive oiled container in an effort to increase the shelf life.  I have Van Over’s bread book but haven’t baked from it in a very long time as I have pretty muched switched to sourdough. This bread can be made in about five hours and I found it very enjoyable.

IMG_6338.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg