• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Did a loaf of CI's American Sandwich bread in the CSO this morning.  Did my 1st rise in the regular oven by their method.  You bring the oven to 200F, leave it on for 10 minutes and then turn it off.  Did my proof in the CSO.  Worked beautifully:

DSCN8510.JPG.bbba8ba26fff458740f1cb5251c9651e.JPG

Though I never get my dough as smooth as I'd like.  I forgot that I read here about shielding the loaf with foil partway through baking, so it got a little dark - not really burned, though, so it should be ok.  Smells wonderful.  I'll post a picture when I slice it.  I wish I could find somewhere other than my attic to store my bread machine.  It would be easier to mix, knead and do the first rise in that and just transfer to a pan for the CSO.

DSCN8511.JPG

@Okanagancook - I have a "thank you" for the wonderful spreadsheet of CSO times and temperatures that you put together.  What a wonderful timesaver - thanks for sharing your hard work on it. 

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Did a loaf of CI's American Sandwich bread in the CSO this morning.  Did my 1st rise in the regular oven by their method.  You bring the oven to 200F, leave it on for 10 minutes and then turn it off.  Did my proof in the CSO.  Worked beautifully:

DSCN8510.JPG.bbba8ba26fff458740f1cb5251c9651e.JPG

Though I never get my dough as smooth as I'd like.  I forgot that I read here about shielding the loaf with foil partway through baking, so it got a little dark - not really burned, though, so it should be ok.  Smells wonderful.  I'll post a picture when I slice it.  I wish I could find somewhere other than my attic to store my bread machine.  It would be easier to mix, knead and do the first rise in that and just transfer to a pan for the CSO.

DSCN8511.JPG