• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

6 hours ago, cakewalk said:

That's a new one for me. What have I been missing?

I haven't thought of this in years. My mother used to make potato candy for us when we were small. I have never heard of it anywhere else. It was simply left over mashed potatoes mixed with confectionary sugar, a little milk and, maybe vanilla (?) to make a dough the texture of soft clay. She would divide it into pieces and color each with food coloring. We would use it like clay to make shapes or letters or miniature fruit (We had all watch Mom make marzipan fruit). If we were feeling unusually patient we would let them dry before eating them. It was a rainy day activity - when you have 6 kids you need to be creative to prevent mayhem. :P

ElainaA

ElainaA

6 hours ago, cakewalk said:

That's a new one for me. What have I been missing?

I haven't thought of this in years. My mother used to make potato candy for us when we were small. i have never heard of it anywhere else. It was simple left over mashed potatoes mixed with confectionary sugar, a little milk and, maybe vanilla (?) to make a dough the texture of soft clay. She would divid it into pieces and color each with food coloring. We would use it like clay to make shapes or letters or miniature fruit (We had all watch Mom make marzipan fruit). If we were feeling unusually patient we would let them dry before eating them. It was a rainy day activity - when you have 6 kids you need to be creative to prevent mayhem. :P