• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasserie Margaux wine dinner

My baby's got sauce!

Tighe, you probably felt this coming, but cipollini are, botanically speaking, onions.  I say the more onions the merrier, though.

A) Does Laurie know that you talk about her like that publicly?? :blink::smile:

B) I admit that there appears to be conflicting information about this out there, but there's nothing like a good ol' biology throw down. According to this web page, which is consistent with what we were told the other evening, cipollini is genus muscari, the bulb of the grape hyacinth, not genus allium to which onions belong.

Further, from the Food Lover's Companion

These bittersweet bulbs of the grape hyacinth taste and look like small onions, which is why they're called wild onions.....

Bring it! :biggrin:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

tighe and I settled this discussion by trading shots of bourbon at the klink BBBQ. I can't remember what the hell we decided.

Seriously, here's the scoop: I was wrong. The cipollinis that look like pearl onions and come in a jar are indeed grape hyacinth bulbs and are not in the onion family (I think they're in the asparagus family). I've never actually eaten these, just heard that they exist. The flattened onions you get at Whole Foods are expensive onions. Tighe assures me that these were the real deal. Now I want to try some.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Nice review, tighe. Ms SeAAttle and I were there also. Were you by any chance seated at the table nearest the kitchen and immediately to Arnie's left (when he was seated)? I noticed some one photographing the table before sitting and thought "I bet that is an e-gulleteer"? We were the designated (perhaps a bit annoying) glass ringers, assigned by Arnie to quiet the group so that he could speak. We were seated in the booth with him. He is such a knowledgeable guy and I really enjoy his historical description of the wine producing areas.

I agree that the Morgante was the best wine of the night. The orichietti was terrific but I also enjoyed the octopus. I must say that I was disappointed in the veal chop. The piece was so large that I thought it was not really cooked properly. A bit on the fatty side for my tastes. Chris said that the pieces were much bigger than he had expected but that cutting them to smaller portions was problematic. The dessert was superb, as you said, but IMO, the dessert wine was not as great as Arnie seemed to think it was. To each his own.

Overall, another very nice evening at Brasserie Margaux.

Nice review, tighe.  Ms SeAAttle and I were there also.  Were you by any chance seated at the table nearest the kitchen and immediately to Arnie's left (when he was seated)?  I noticed some one photographing the table before sitting and thought "I bet that is an e-gulleteer"?  We were the designated (perhaps a bit annoying) glass ringers, assigned by Arnie to quiet the group so that he could speak.  We were seated in the booth with him....

Yes, that was indeed us. Next time we're at one of these things, I'm just going to stand up and yell, "will the real SeAAttle please stand up!" :biggrin:

So you were the glass ringers? I think I remember what you looked like. :hmmm:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Seriously, here's the scoop: I was wrong.  The cipollinis that look like pearl onions and come in a jar are indeed grape hyacinth bulbs and are not in the onion family (I think they're in the asparagus family).  I've never actually eaten these, just heard that they exist.  The flattened onions you get at Whole Foods are expensive onions.  Tighe assures me that these were the real deal.  Now I want to try some.

At your own risk. According to Botanical.com,

"The Grape Hyacinth, very much cultivated in England as a garden plant and occasionally met with in sandy soils in the eastern and southern counties, has, like the Wild Hyacinth, a poisonous bulb."

Botanical: Muscari racemosum (MILL.)

Family: N.O. Liliaceae

They do have a disclaimer that the site, based on "A Modern Herbal" was written with knowledge common in the early 1900's, so perhaps, like thinking on tomatoes, evidence to the contrary has determined these are edible?

"The Grape Hyacinth, very much cultivated in England as a garden plant and occasionally met with in sandy soils in the eastern and southern counties, has, like the Wild Hyacinth, a poisonous bulb...

Maybe I'm actually among the undead now. A few people this weekend said I looked a little pale.... :biggrin:

"The Grape Hyacinth, very much cultivated in England as a garden plant and occasionally met with in sandy soils in the eastern and southern counties, has, like the Wild Hyacinth, a poisonous bulb...

Maybe I'm actually among the undead now. A few people this weekend said I looked a little pale.... :biggrin:

Let's see... have you developed any unusual cravings for brains lately?

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE BM!!!!

So do we!!

Welcome to eGullet PNW theone. Love to hear the particulars of your experience at BM.

Here is the latest wine dinner menu from BM. The theme is Spain and the date is June 29. Scrat, MsRamsey and I actually got to taste all of the food items and something north of 20 Spanish wines at a reception for those who had attended previous BM wine dinners. Although Arnie apparently didn't share my opinion on the pairings, he did ultimately choose some of my favorites from the tasting. All of the courses are very good, but the duck stuffed peppers are just outrageous.

SPANISH WINE DINNER

SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2003

Potato Tortilla with Rioja Sauce and Queso Manchego

Morgadio – Albariño - Rias Baixas 2002

Scallop Ceviche with Roasted Corn, Tomato and Spring Onions

Ochoa – Garnacha Rosado - Navarre 2002

Paella Valenciana – Tiger Shrimp, Clams, Mussels, Salmon in a Baked in a Saffron Rice Casserole with Chicken and Chorizo Sausage

Lan Rioja Crianza 1998

Cava Sorbet

Pascilla Chili Pepper stuffed with Cumin Scented Duck, Green Lentils and Sweet Red Pepper Coulis

Dehesa La Granja - Toro 1998

Citrus Scented Saffron Flan with a Pistachio Tuile

Alvear Pedro Ximenez - Montilla NV

• 3 weeks later...

Not a wine dinner - well, you can usually buy wine too, but a charity dinner:

Evening at Boomtown:

July 16th, meal prepared and donated by Chef Chris Zarkades of Brasserie Margaux of the Warwick Hotel. Minimum donation of $20 per meal (3 courses).

To make reservations, call the cafe at (206) 625-2989 or e-mail info@boomtowncafe.org

July 16th, meal prepared and donated by Chef Chris Zarkades of Brasserie Margaux

Thanks for posting this! I'm going. Who else?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

tsquare, thanks for the 'heads-up' on this one. I'm going to try to make it happen. The menu looks good.

~Appetizer~

Belgian Endive Salad with Gorgonzola Cheese, Hazelnut Pralines and Citrus Vinaigrette

~Entree~

Herb Roasted Chicken Breast with Forest Mushroom Ragout, Truffled Yukon Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Roma Tomatoes

~Dessert~

Summer Strawberry Shortcake on a citrus scone with Chantilly Cream

MsRamsey and Tighe,

You are welcome. I'm otherwise scheduled, but thought I'd offer some advice.

While dining late is oh so continental, at Boomtown, it can mean running low on food - or smaller portions. Suggest earlier reservations.

The room can be hot on a summer night - dress accordingly (and casual is fine.)

Service is volunteered - sometimes flakey, sometimes charming.

Last year, wine flights were available, supplied by a single winery, $10? - don't know if they are still doing that - 3 glasses in an hour made me quite tipsy, but maybe that's just me!

It's for a good cause - and the food and prep are donated - so it's not like eating at the host restaurant - but all the meals I've had were quite good - some were excellent. Chefs, bless their hearts, want diners to think good things about them and their craft (art?).

Please post after if anyone goes!