• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

I was making a cherry caramel - similar to Grewling's raspberry caramel, but with cherry puree - and the end result was a mess.  There was an enormous amount of separation between what I assume is the butter and the sugar with a large pool of oil/butterfat on top of the caramel.  Its my first time making a caramel with fruit puree but I've made caramel before a million times and never seen this.  I added the puree when the caramel was at 234 degrees and the puree was preheated to a little over 140 degree.  The whole mixture came down to around 220 degrees and then I cooked back to 240.   See the picture below.  What likely happened here? Is it repairable?

IMG_1875.JPG

Bentley

Bentley

I was making a cherry caramel - similar to Grewling's raspberry caramel, but with cherry puree - and the end result was a mess.  There was an enormous amount of separation between what I assume is the butter and the sugar with a large pool of oil/butterfat on top of the caramel.  Its my first time making a caramel with fruit puree but I've made caramel before a million times and never seen this.  See the picture below.  What likely happened here? Is it repairable?

IMG_1875.JPG