• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe

On 5/12/2024 at 8:01 PM, Smithy said:

I've been making my own kefir from a packet of dry granules...

My my, I've never seen such a product!

I'd advise you to ditch that stuff ASAP and find some real kefir grains. I bought mine from the Kefir Lady in 2013, and my culture is still going strong! According to my math, I've made over 250 gallons with my original purchase of grains -- I've also given away excess grains, dumped them in smoothies, etc. A one time purchase will offer years of production.

And when I'm away for a few weeks, I'll just cover the grains with some fresh milk and throw 'em in the freezer. When I return I add more fresh milk to the container, place it back in the fridge, and within a few days I'm back in business.

P.S. I just checked Nextdoor, Facebook Marketplace, and Etsy; they're all over the place, sometimes for FREE.

P.P.S. From Wikipedia: "Kefir can be made using  freeze-dried  cultures commonly available in powder form from  health food stores . A portion of the resulting kefir can be saved to be used a number of times to propagate further fermentations but ultimately does not form grains."

Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe

On 5/12/2024 at 8:01 PM, Smithy said:

I've been making my own kefir from a packet of dry granules...

My my, I've never seen such a product!

I'd advise you to ditch that stuff ASAP and find some real kefir grains. I bought mine from the Kefir Lady in 2013, and my culture is still going strong! According to my math, I've made over 250 gallons with my original purchase of grains -- I've also given away excess grains, dumped them in smoothies, etc. A one time purchase will offer years of production.

And when I'm away for a few weeks, I'll just cover the grains with some fresh milk and throw 'em in the freezer. When I get return I'll add more fresh milk to the container, place it back in the fridge, and within a few days I'm back in business.

P.S. I just checked Nextdoor, Facebook Marketplace, and Etsy; they're all over the place, sometimes for FREE.

P.P.S. From Wikipedia: "Kefir can be made using  freeze-dried  cultures commonly available in powder form from  health food stores . A portion of the resulting kefir can be saved to be used a number of times to propagate further fermentations but ultimately does not form grains."