• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jim loellbach

jim loellbach

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Welcome, Jim. There are quite a few eG'ers who either live in Chicagoland or visit there regularly, so please keep us in the loop about the progress of your chocolate shop. Are you looking at any particular neighborhood(s) or 'burb(s)?

(This is the chocolate class, yes?)

Yes Alex, that's the class.  Thanks for the advertising!  I'm gonna explain tempering and why it's necessary, show examples of tempered and untempered chocolate, and give a tempering demo (seeding with 1% microplaned chocolate).  Then we'll have a bunch of inclusions so the students can make clusters and rochers. 

I live in Printers Row, just south of the loop.  I'd like to open a shop near home.  I would need such a small space, it's hard to find anything small enough.

Smithy: I did see that post and it sounds interesting.  Toronto in May?  Sounds good to me!

jim loellbach

jim loellbach

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Welcome, Jim. There are quite a few eG'ers who either live in Chicagoland or visit there regularly, so please keep us in the loop about the progress of your chocolate shop. Are you looking at any particular neighborhood(s) or 'burb(s)?

(This is the chocolate class, yes?)

Yes Alex, that's the class.  Thanks for the advertising!  I'm gonna explain tempering and why it's necessary, show examples of tempered and untempered chocolate, and give a tempering demo (seeding with 1% microplaned chocolate).  Then we'll have a bunch of inclusions so the students can make clusters and rochers. 

Smithy: I did see that post and it sounds interesting.  Toronto in May?  Sounds good to me!