• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Shirley Corriher said in her book CookWise that flour mills round off the protein percentage in a way that makes that statement rather meaningless.  In general there are Southern All Purpose flours that are low protein.  A couple of them are White Lily and Martha White.  When I can get those, I prefer to use those for biscuits and pie crusts.  National brand mills usually blend bleached All Purpose flours at a lower protein percentage than their unbleached All Purpose flours because they suppose that the unbleached flour will most likely used with yeast.  I use unbleached all purpose flour for general use like gravy and to keep my sourdough starter fed because it's cheaper than King Arthur Bread flour which I prefer to use just for bread.   Self rising flour is also lower in protein than regular flour.  If you want to lower the protein content of flour, add about 1 part cake flour or 'instant' flour to 3 parts of regular all purpose flour.  

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Shirley Corriher said in her book CookWise that flour mills round off the protein percentage in a way that makes that statement rather meaningless.  In general there are Southern All Purpose flours that are low protein.  A couple of them are White Lily and Martha White.  When I can get those, I prefer to use those for biscuits and pie crusts.  National brand mills usually blend bleached All Purpose flours at a lower protein percentage than their unbleached All Purpose flours because they suppose that the unbleached flour will most likely used with yeast.  I use unbleached all purpose flour to keep my sourdough starter fed because it's cheaper than King Arthur Bread flour which I prefer to use for bread.  Self rising flour is also lower in protein than regular flour.  If you want to lower the protein content of flour, add about 1 part cake flour or 'instant' flour to 3 parts of regular all purpose flour.