• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

2 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

Those look like chee cheong fan (mince wrapped in rice noodles). Glad you liked Great Eastern!

"Chee Cheong Fun" (literally, "pig intestine (rice) noodle")** more accurately refers to rolled tubes of this slippery-texture rice noodle sheets, with or without dried shrimp (har mai) or chopped scallions and maybe some other bits incorporated into the rice sheets, commonly served with a sort of special sauce (a sweetish-savory sauce) and with or without a hot chilli sauce as well. The dim-sum article like the one pictured are usually referred to as "xx cheong fun" where xx refers to the filling that the rice sheets enclose.  I took a close look at the photo and I think I see shrimp as well as mince in the filling plus some greenery and some other things – I am guessing that Kerry Beal & Co. ordered item #55 from their menu, the "Rice Noodle Roll Stuffed w/ Shrimp, Beef, B.B.Q. Pork" ?  These are more commonly called "rice crepes" on English dim sum menus in my experience; they are also less frequently offered with a combination of all the three fillings; more usually they are offered as crepes with just one of the three -  i.e. with either a shrimp, or beef mince, or B.B.Q. pork (a.k.a. "char siu") filling.  The Great Eastern menu does show a shrimp-only rice roll/rice crepe, item #54.

** Because they "look" like the large intestines of a pig (BY FAR the most common non-poultry animal slaughtered for meat in Chinese cuisine)

huiray

huiray

2 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

Those look like chee cheong fan (mince wrapped in rice noodles). Glad you liked Great Eastern!

"Chee Cheong Fun" (literally, "pig intestine (rice) noodle")** more accurately refers to rolled tubes of this slippery-texture rice noodle sheets, with or without dried shrimp (har mai) or chopped scallions and maybe some other bits incorporated into the rice sheets, commonly served with a sort of special sauce (a sweetish-savory sauce) and with or without a hot chilli sauce as well. The dim-sum article like the one pictured are usually referred to as "xx cheong fun" where xx refers to the filling that the rice sheets enclose.  I took a close look at the photo and I think I see shrimp as well as mince in the filling plus some greenery and some other things – I am guessing that Kerry Beal & Co. ordered item #55 from their menu, the "Rice Noodle Roll Stuffed w/ Shrimp, Beef, B.B.Q. Pork" ?  These are more commonly called "rice crepes" on English dim sum menus in my experience; they are also less frequently offered with a combination of all the three fillings; more usually they are offered as crepes with just one of the three -  i.e. with either a shrimp, or beef mince, or B.B.Q. pork (a.k.a. "char siu") filling.  The Great Eastern menu does show a shrimp-only rice roll/rice crepe, item #54.

** Because they "look" like the large intestines of a pig (the most common animal slaughtered for meat in Chinese cuisine)

huiray

huiray

1 hour ago, Shalmanese said:

"Chee Cheong Fun" ("pig intestine (rice) noodle") more accurately refers to rolled tubes of this slippery-texture rice noodle sheets, with or without dried shrimp (har mai) or chopped scallions and maybe some other bits incorporated into the rice sheets, commonly served with a sort of special sauce (a sweetish-savory sauce) and with or without a hot chilli sauce as well. The dim-sum article like the one pictured are usually referred to as "xx cheong fun" where xx refers to the filling that the rice sheets enclose.  I took a close look at the photo and I think I see shrimp as well as mince in the filling plus some greenery and some other things – I am guessing that Kerry Beal & Co. ordered item #55 from their menu, the "Rice Noodle Roll Stuffed w/ Shrimp, Beef, B.B.Q. Pork" ?  These are more commonly called "rice crepes" on English dim sum menus in my experience; they are also less frequently offered with a combination of all the three fillings; more usually they are offered as crepes with just one of the three -  i.e. with either a shrimp, or beef mince, or B.B.Q. pork (a.k.a. "char siu") filling.  The Great Eastern menu does show a shrimp-only rice roll/rice crepe, item #54.