• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Spork

Spork

I'm laughing at myself as I tell this story. You are welcome to laugh along, just don't hurt yourself.

My first experience with sous vide was many decades ago, an MRE pouch in a canteen cup of water and my pinky as a temp probe. If I only new then, what I know now...........

Around two years ago, the buzz just overcame me. I have to try this. I have a small side oven, corningware, Venison under pressure, and wait for it.........a redi check wireless thermometer (that I use in my smoker and absolutely love). First time, one of the best pieces of Venison I have ever had. For the next roughly ten times, same result, I was hooked. Then, the probe died on me. I credit that to the immersion, and vowed never to subject that wonderful piece of equipment to such peril. Replaced the probe, it performs flawless in the smoker, but I was without a bath. 

I agonized over just what to replace it with. After months of study, Dr Jekyl bought a dork food controller and Mr Hyde an Anova. Mr Hyde was right beyond my wildest dreams. The controller does exactly what it should, it just looks like a life support system after you add an aquarium pump and call on Dr Jekyll for some "creativity" on the electric deep fryer switch. 

Here's the Anova in long range attire.

i-5H56knV-L.jpg

I'm in love. 

Spork

Spork

I'm laughing at myself as I tell this story. You are welcome to laugh along, just don't hurt yourself.

My first experience with sous vide was many decades ago, an MRE pouch in a canteen cup of water and my pinky as a temp probe. If I only new then, what I know now...........

Around two years ago, the buzz just overcame me. I have to try this. I have a small side oven, corningware, Venison under pressure, and wait for it.........a redi check wireless thermometer (that I use in my smoker and absolutely love). First time, one of the best pieces of Venison I have ever had. For the next roughly ten times, same result, I was hooked. Then, the probe died on me. I credit that to the immersion, and vowed never to subject that wonderful piece of equipment to such peril. Replaced the probe, it performs flawless in the smoker, but I was without a bath. 

I agonized over just what to replace it with. After months of study, Dr Jekyl bought a dork food controller and Mr Hyde an Anova. Mr Hyde was right beyond my wildest dreams. The controller does exactly what it should, it just looks like a life support system after you add an aquarium pump and call on Dr Jekyll for some "creativity" on the electric deep fryer switch. 

Here's the Anova in long range attire. 

i-5H56knV-D.jpg

I'm in love.