• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

15 hours ago, boilsover said:

Yes of course it can go on the flame (or into coals).  The Euro lines using Burgundian clay (e.g., some Emile Henry) are similarly suitable, but breakage is always a big issue.

All this talk of canisters, daylong cooking, flame tamers, etc. brings me to the question:  Other than for sweating or sauteing your mirrepoix, why wouldn't Jaymes and everyone be better off simply putting this clay pot in an oven when it's not on beautiful display on a shelf?  I mean, I get why, if you have a hearth fire, or solid top also cooking other things simultaneously, stove- or trivet-top might get used, but given the nature of the material, isn't an oven a no-brainer? 

I appreciate your enthusiasm but but please stop saying breakage is "always a big issue". It's simply not true. It's like saying cooking on gas stove means you will have a fire in your kitchen. It can happen but with a very few steps, it's just not an issue. 

This pot is not designed to be used in an oven. It would be awkward. A lidded cazuela would be more appropriate if that's what you wanted to do. The bowl that sits on top of the neck opening is for holding water that you can add as needed to the pot (cold water is considered a shock to the beans and thought to keep them from getting soft.) Getting this in and out as needed would be very awkward. 

But I have a serious "issue" with "collecting" clay pots, especially from Mexico. OK, I am an addict. I have dozens (and dozens) of them. Some cook hotter, some have a more mineral flavor they impart, some taste smokey- they're all different. I cook beans twice a week from this pot, a have three or four cazuelas I use regularly and many other specialty pieces. Knock wood, I have never had one break from direct flame or heat. EVER. They break when well-meaning guests insist on helping with the dishes and drop them on my floor. Or when you accidentally put another piece on top of them without thinking.

I also have Italian, French, Spanish, Moroccan and Egyptian pieces. These tend to be just as different and in the case of the Egyptian especially, they're much more delicate and I have had them break from heat. Until you've worked with this clay from this area from these artisans, I don't think you should be speaking in absolutes about it. 

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Yes of course it can go on the flame (or into coals).  The Euro lines using Burgundian clay (e.g., some Emile Henry) are similarly suitable, but breakage is always a big issue.

All this talk of canisters, daylong cooking, flame tamers, etc. brings me to the question:  Other than for sweating or sauteing your mirrepoix, why wouldn't Jaymes and everyone be better off simply putting this clay pot in an oven when it's not on beautiful display on a shelf?  I mean, I get why, if you have a hearth fire, or solid top also cooking other things simultaneously, stove- or trivet-top might get used, but given the nature of the material, isn't an oven a no-brainer? 

I appreciate your enthusiasm but but please stop saying breakage is "always a big issue". It's simply not true. It's like saying cooking on gas stove means you will have a fire in your kitchen. It can happen but with a very few steps, it's just not an issue. 

This pot is not designed to be used in an oven. It would be awkward. A lidded cazuela would be more appropriate if that's what you wanted to do. The bowl that sits on top of the neck opening is for holding water that you can add as needed to the pot (cold water is considered a shock to the beans and thought to keep them from getting soft.) Getting this in and out as needed would be very awkward. 

But I have a serious "issue" with "collecting" clay pots, especially from Mexico. OK, I am an addict. I have dozens (and dozens) of them. Some cook hotter, some have a more mineral flavor they impart, some taste smokey- they're all different. I cook beans twice a week from this pot, a have three or four cazuelas I use regularly and many other specialty pieces. Knock wood, I have never had one break from direct flame or heat. EVER. They break when well-meaning guests insist on helping with the dishes and dropping them on my floor. Or when you accidentally put another piece on top of them without thinking.

I also have Italian, French, Spanish, Moroccan and Egyptian pieces. These tend to be just as different and in the case of the Egyptian especially, they're much more delicate and I have had them break from heat. Until you've worked with this clay from this area from these artisans, I don't think you should be speaking in absolutes about it. 

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

But I have a serious "issue" with "collecting" clay pots, especially from Mexico. OK, I am an addict. I have dozens (and dozens) of them. Some cook hotter, some have a more mineral flavor they impart, some taste smokey- they're all different. I cook beans twice a week from this pot, a have three or four cazuelas I use regularly and many other specialty pieces. Knock wood, I have never had one break from direct flame or heat. EVER. They break when well-intended guests insist on helping with the dishes and dropping them on my floor. Or when you accidentally put another piece on top of them without thinking.

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

But I have a serious "issue" with "collecting" clay pots, especially from Mexico. OK, I am an addict. I have dozens (and dozens) of them. Some cook hotter, some have a more mineral flavor they impart, some taste smokey- they're all different. I cook beans twice a week from this pot, a have three or four cazuelas I use regularly and many other specialty pieces. Knock wood, I have never had one break from direct flame or heat. They break when well-intended guests insist on helping with the dishes and dropping them on my floor. Or when you accidentally put another piece on top of them without thinking.