• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

19 hours ago, boilsover said:

Yes, that's right.  These style hotplates usually cannot mount up larger canisters--they typically have a sleeve the canister fits into, preventing use of a larger tank.  Depending on what you get and how resourceful/handy you are, it would be possible to adapt them to take larger.

My advice is that, if you're actually going to be cooking beans (as opposed to reheating them), you scale up a bit.  Here's an inexpensive 2-burner that will let you hook up to a larger LP tank that will run all day.  http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-burner-propane-stove-35559.html   

This is what I use.

I run a 6' hose to my 20-lb bottle.

The single/8oz hotplates are basically rechauds.  Like the mini "kitchen torches", they'll likely drive you batshit crazy changing canisters.

Just my 2 cents. 

Yes, that does look pretty wonderful, but my circumstance is that I live in a small apartment with a small balcony.  Not sure that larger appliance would work for me. 

Also, there are plenty of folks that will tell you that, at this late date, I don't need to worry about becoming "batshit crazy."  That train left Nutsville Station long ago.

And I was in the club car.

Jaymes

Jaymes

57 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Yes, that's right.  These style hotplates usually cannot mount up larger canisters--they typically have a sleeve the canister fits into, preventing use of a larger tank.  Depending on what you get and how resourceful/handy you are, it would be possible to adapt them to take larger.

My advice is that, if you're actually going to be cooking beans (as opposed to reheating them), you scale up a bit.  Here's an inexpensive 2-burner that will let you hook up to a larger LP tank that will run all day.  http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-burner-propane-stove-35559.html   

This is what I use.

I run a 6' hose to my 20-lb bottle.

The single/8oz hotplates are basically rechauds.  Like the mini "kitchen torches", they'll likely drive you batshit crazy changing canisters.

Just my 2 cents. 

Yes, that does look pretty wonderful, but my circumstance is that I live in a small apartment with a small balcony.  Not sure that larger appliance would work for me. 

Also, there are plenty of folks that will tell you that, at this late date, I don't need to worry about becoming "batshit crazy."  That train left Nutsville Station long ago.

And I was in the club car.