• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

I now find myself to be the lucky owner of a brand new Mixteca Clay Olla Bean Pot from Rancho Gordo: 

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/other-food-items/products/110-mixteca-pot

I've cooked in clay ollas before, but always on a gas burner.  Now, I'm in an apartment with one of those glass-top ranges.  I hate the thing, of course, but not much I can do about it.  In previous houses where I've had to put up with electric stoves, I just bought an outdoor gas grill with a burner attached, but that's not workable here.  No yard, just a small balcony, no bbq equipment allowed.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any of the several heat diffusers on the market.  How would they work with long cooking in clay.  This olla is a thing of considerable beauty, obviously hand-rubbed with stones by someone to create the smooth exterior surface, and I don't want to do anything to risk damaging it.

Suggestions?

Jaymes

Jaymes

I now find myself the lucky owner of a brand new Mixteca Clay Olla Bean Pot from Rancho Gordo: 

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/other-food-items/products/110-mixteca-pot

I've cooked in clay ollas before, but always on a gas burner.  Now, I'm in an apartment with one of those glass-top ranges.  I hate the thing, of course, but not much I can do about it.  In previous houses where I've had to put up with electric stoves, I just bought an outdoor gas grill with a burner attached, but that's not workable here.  No yard, just a small balcony, no bbq equipment allowed.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any of the several heat diffusers on the market.  How would they work with long cooking in clay.  This olla is a thing of considerable beauty, obviously hand-rubbed with stones by someone to create the smooth exterior surface, and I don't want to do anything to risk damaging it.

Suggestions?