• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

spelling

I have been a fan of Chefsteps since before the Joule.  I had bought a premium membership years ago for classes and special videos, et al.   Then Chefsteps kind of stalled with the Joule and the cool innovation went away.  But I still used the site for the existing recipes, I didn't feel particularly abandoned.

Then the announcement of Breville buying Joule/Chefsteps came.  Wasn't looking good for the Chefsteps site.

But I have to say Chefsteps seems to have been reborn and is vibrant again.  New recipes, not just sous vide based.  They are using BSO and Breville microwaves, but also IP and Control Freaks and freeze driers....etc.   Fun stuff, like an entire turkey turned into separate yakitori and grilling it.

They created another pay level above the Premium called Studio Pass, they offered a deal to existing Premiums to upgrade at a quite discounted price.  I went for it.  Some of the legacy Chefsteps followers were unhappy about another pay level, can't argue with that.  But the company leadership did change.

So far I feel I'm getting quite my money's worth in watching the new videos (they come out at the first of the month and some are added as the month goes on).  Grant Crilly is relatable, enthusiastic and easy to watch.  The video quality is very good and the write ups are excellent.

All the old Chefsteps content is still available too.

Just my 2 cents review and experience with the new Chefsteps concept.

lemniscate

lemniscate

I have been a fan of Chefsteps since before the Joule.  I had bought a premium membership years ago for classes and special videos, et al.   Then Chefsteps kind of stalled with the Joule and the cool innovation went away.  But I still used the site for the existing recipes, I didn't feel particularly abandoned.

Then the announcement of Breville buying Joule/Chefsteps came.  Wasn't looking good for the Chefsteps site.

But I have to say Chefsteps seems to have been reborn and it vibrant again.  New recipes, not just sous vide based.  They are using BSO and Breville microwaves, but also IP and Control Freaks and freeze driers....etc.   Fun stuff, like an entire turkey turned into separate yakitori and grilling it.

They created another pay level above the Premium called Studio Pass, they offered a deal to existing Premiums to upgrade at a quite discounted price.  I went for it.  Some of the legacy Chefsteps followers were unhappy about another pay level, can't argue with that.  But the company leadership did change.

So far I feel I'm getting quite my money's worth in watching the new videos (they come out at the first of the month and some are added as the month goes on).  Grant Crilly is relatable, enthusiastic and easy to watch.  The video quality is very good and the write ups are excellent.

All the old Chefsteps content is still available too.

Just my 2 cents review and experience with the new Chefsteps concept.