• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seized white chocolate

Occasionally I end up with some seized white chocolate, it's the joys of demoing or doing parties in non-environment controlled places.

When I get this I tend to use it to make a ganache, however I was wondering if it could be used for making caramelised white chocolate as theoretically it doesn't need to be tempered as it is being caramelised and the temperatures used change the chemical structure. If this is the case (I've never caramelised chocolate but I know that David Leibowitz suggests it) can the caramelised chocolate then be tempered and used and therefore I magically save my chocolate? If so at what temperature? Do I treat it as a white or a milk chocolate?

Am I barking up the wrong chemical tree here or do I just have to continue using it in ganache?

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

I would say the experiment will need to be done to see if it works. My sneaking suspicion is it might not work - but you'll never know until you try.

• Like 2